Blue vs. Gray & Splash

countyroad1330

Thunder Snow 2009!
13 Years
Oct 15, 2007
Oklahoma!
I was looking at The Chicken Chronicles site with the APA's accepted colors. It says that Silkies are accepted in blue and gray, but not splash. Is splash called gray? I recently saw several splash being shown.

I'm not sure where you got that information from, but is incorrect. According to the American Bantam Silkie Club, Splash is an accepted color for Silkies by the APA and ABA.

100_2756.jpg

Grey
100_2759.jpg

Splash (RIP little Ares)
100_2923.jpg

Blue (RIP little Gwen)

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually think the Chicken Chronicles is a little outdated. I read about the d'Anvers in it.. and noted they did not mention Splash for them as being acceptable, either. The breeder/shower I bought mine from back in October told me they were now included, and could be shown.

Maybe they just need to update their info over there.

Meghan

I thought it was outdated as well. I am planning on buying the new Standard that the APA puts out, but its release has been pushed back until late spring. I guess I will just have to wait, but I do know that Splash is accepted in Silkies. Thanks for the pictures!

What is the difference between the gray and the blue, is it just genetic? Is gray the equivalent of self blue (breeds true)?

Quote:
pure Grays breed true-and seeing an adult gray and an adult blue side by side, you would easily be able to tell the difference- grays remind me of birchens in other breeds

Blues are caused by the gene often referred to as Andalusian Blue-does not breed true

Self Blue is the same as what people are calling the Lavender variety-it is a dilute of black, and the gene is called lav- two lavenders will also breed true because it is a recessive

Back
Top Bottom