blue wheaten ameracaunas

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sweetshoplady, Feb 10, 2009.

1. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    What's wrong with this color? Why does no one have these?

I asked as many people as I could today for any help in locating this color in the form of eggs, chicks, hens, pullets. Half said they no longer had them. Some said the weather was too cold for them.

I thought this was a recognized color, one of the 8.

Is this color being discontinued?

2. sweetshoplady

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    Oh, is being this color make the weather colder for them than other ameracaunas? Are they not as hardy?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I haven't heard of them getting harder to get [​IMG]

Where were you asking? I know locally, no one has them for me. I got some from Jean (pips & peeps) and Melissa (pasofinofarms). I think tailfeathers has them too. There are plenty of people on this forum with that color.

4. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:Mine are just as hardy as the other colors.
    I think it being too cold may be for shipping? I know I wouldn't get any eggs/chicks right now because it is too cold up here. It may be too cold where they are coming from too.

5. sweetshoplady

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    klf73, sent you a pm.

This is not about bashing an organization or people, (why I'm not posting names, etc)

I've been trying for true ameracaunas for 4-5 months. I bought eggs (not that color) in September/October, they arrived middle of January. From a reputable person. Prettiest blue eggs I've ever seen. Sadly I think they were frozen along the way, as when I candled them in the bator they all looked like water balloons. I'd never seen that.

I still haven't thrown the things out - just too pretty. Trying to see if I could blow them out so at least I'd have very expensive egg shells. I didn't leave negative feedback on the seller, not their fault that happened.

For all I know, I've done or said something inadvertently to offend someone and therefore they will not ship me eggs directly.

No, I don't have egg spending money to buy weekly shipments of eggs or look for birds while I wait 4 months for frozen eggs. Just so that a november hatchee would be old enough this spring to hsver eggs.

6. cottagegarden

cottagegarden Eggistentialist

Oct 2, 2008
    SE PA
    It is always frustrating when things dont go the way we hope.
    I dont think there is anything different on this color, and they certainly arent discontinuing it, but I think some breeders are pulling in to work on better lines.
    Since you are in a warm area and much of the US still a little cold for shipping eggs or laying hens see if you can find something fairly local from the ABC breeder directory. At least maybe you could save a month if you start now. You could get chicks from Paul Smith, Cree Farms, Larry Garner from ABC is in Ga or eggs from Pasofino Farmsor start watching eggbid for a pair if you really want to step up the process. If you contact the
    breeders the states around you you can get an idea of what will be available when.
    Sorry the first time didnt work-they are great birds and worth the time to get them

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  7. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Peachick has lovely blue wheatens as well

8. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    thanks msbear, I remembered peachick in my pm to her as well as Gary(geareduplyn).

If I could do it all over I would definitely get chicks, shipping just does a number on the eggs....

9. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Paul and Angela Smith do not sell eggs but they will ship day old chicks. They are very nice people.

10. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by