"Blue Wheaten" Ameraucana Color

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Xival Knievel, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Xival Knievel

Xival Knievel Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    I am having camera problems but am trying to figure out if my pullet is an EE or Ameraucana. She was purchased of course as ameraucana but since I've read this site it sounds like more turn out to really be EE. So I am trying to figure out if her color is even one of the allowed varieties. I have been to the Ameraucana Breeders Club website and seen the pictures but I figure that the coloring probably differer a bit from bird to bird.

Ostara (6 wks old) started out pretty much all white when she grew in her feathers but now her body is getting to be more wheaton colored, like white with some beige at the tips. Her head, however, has just become much more grey. I saw a hint of grayish right behind the comb from day one but now most of her head is that color and it has darkened (still somewhat light though). She is very pretty.

Does anyone know what this coloring might be called? I will try to post a photo if needed once I can get my DH to help with it. I KNOW the subject has been beaten to death on the differences between the two (EE and Ameraucana) but even after reading all the posts I just can't quite seem to figure it out. Other than color I don't really see anything that screams she is not Ameraucana but I'm so new to this. Anything else that would be easy to pinpoint and tell me if she is one or the other? Thanks for any info you can offer!

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Hard to say without a photo. What color are her legs? Eyes? And the clincher, where did you get her?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  3. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Where did you get her that can be a indicator of whether they are true ameraucana I have two poorly colored wheaton/ blue wheaton ameraucana hens and they are to dark but she sounds close. Good Luck

Henry

Speckled hen great minds think alike [​IMG] we posted almost at the same time !

4. Xival Knievel

May 8, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    I got her at the local feed store... [​IMG] hehe
    But they do have a pretty good selection and number of chicks that they get in and someone reasonably knowledgable who handles the whole chick thing. I could probably find out where exactly they get their chicks.

Her eyes are a dark grayish green/brown and her legs are a yellowy green. She has muffs and beard.

I figure probably EE but might as well check...

Thanks again for the help [​IMG]

5. Anne

Anne Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    Yep, she's an EE -- the leg color gives it away, in this case. Ameraucanas must have slate legs & white skin, whereas it sounds like yours has willow legs & yellow skin.

6. mirime

mirime Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    NE Ohio
    I was gonna name one of my EE's Ostara too! [​IMG] And the other Lily. That is, once I get them, that is!

7. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    I have an EE that is similar to what you are describing, minus the grey head. Her name is Della and she's the one in the middle.

[​IMG]

8. Xival Knievel

May 8, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Thanks for all help! That clears up that question. I will still try to post a picture soon just for fun but she is definitely EE.
    Danger- She looked JUST like that when she was a little bit younger only less beige (mostly white). I think I can even see the ashy color on yours' head (or my mind is playing tricks on me!).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by