1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blue Wheaten Americana Chicks - What gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MemphisChickens, Mar 18, 2012.

1. MemphisChickens

MemphisChickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2011
    Memphis, TN
    I have 3 chicks and I need to know which 1 is the roo. I am caring for 2 of the 3 for a couple who wants a roo and pullet and I need to figure out soon which 2 are theirs and which one is my pullet. Can anyone tell me which chick is the roo and why you think so. I can't end up with the roo so I don't want to make a mistake in my judgement. The chicks are 2.5 weeks old right now, born on leap day and the new owners want the pullet/roo combo asap :/
    Any thoughts?
    I have listed the chicks as 1 , 2 and 3

Chick 1
    [​IMG]

Chick 1[​IMG]

Chick 2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chick 3
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Well, I think the new owners need to exercise a little patience. I have no idea which of those chicks is a pullet or a rooster. You didn't provide good pics of their combs (I've been told boys of pea combed breed have 3 rows of peas, which it looks like chick #3 has, I'm not sure how accurate that is though). They could all be roosters, or they could all be pullets or any combination in between. Good luck...

3. MemphisChickens

Mar 31, 2011
    Memphis, TN
    Right. I agree. All 3 have the same comb right now. I read somewhere that you can tell by their coloring but I'm not sure which coloring means roo and which means pullet.

4. howfunkyisurchicken

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Their coloring would have nothing to do with their sex at this point, since they aren't a sex-linked breed. When they have more adult like feathers, feather pattern can be a good indication of sex (look at pictures of each sex of a few different breeds for a good example of the differences in male and female plumage). Roosters are the flashier sex, but not at such a young age as 2.5 weeks old :)

5. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    I'm really no expert- I'm just throwing out a possibility.
    The second one looks a little rooster-ish because of the thick legs and big feet.

6. look, one way to tell if it's a rooster is to check the area where the back ends and the tail starts, roosters will have this oil gland, a thing that looks like a round bump above their butt. Only roosters have it but I think you'll have to wait untill they are 3 weeks old.

7. MemphisChickens

Mar 31, 2011
    Memphis, TN
    Great info! I will check next weekend. Thanks!

8. zDoc

zDoc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Farmington NM
    you sure have some beautiful birds there. [​IMG]

9. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    Just wanted to point out that Ameraucanas have slate legs, your chicks all seem to have yellow legs.

10. howfunkyisurchicken

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    All chickens have an oil gland, both hens and roosters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by