Blue Wheaten/ Wheaten and Lavender Genetics?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by JustPeachy, Feb 17, 2013.

1. JustPeachy

JustPeachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Waynesboro, Ga
    Can anyone tell me what may happen if I put Blue Wheaten, Wheaten and Lavender birds all together? I'm just wondering for my own personal reasons? I have seen these great little charts, does anyone have one for a cross between the wheaten and the lavenders? Does anyone have any pictures of such a cross, what could I expect maybe?

Lavender

Lavender (Self Blue) x Lavender (Self Blue) = 100% Lavender (Self Blue)

Lavender (Self Blue) x Black = 100% Split (Visually Black, with Lavender gene hidden)

Split x Split = 25% Lavender (Self Blue), 50% Split, 25% Black

Lavender (Self Blue) x Split = 50% Lavender (Self Blue), 50% Split

Split x Black = 50% Split, 50% Black

Blue/Black/Splash (BBS)

Blue x Blue = 50% Blue, 25% Black, 25% Splash

Blue x Splash = 50% Blue, 50% Splash

Blue x Black = 50% Blue, 50% Black

Black x Splash = 100% Blue

Black x Black = 100% Black

Splash x Splash = 100% Splash

NOTES - - Black can NEVER parent a Splash Bird, and Splash can NEVER parent a Black Bird.

Wheaten/Blue Wheaten

Wheaten x Wheaten = All Wheaten

Wheaten x Blue Wheaten = 1/2 Wheaten and 1/2 Blue Wheaten

Blue Wheaten x Blue Wheaten = 1/2 Blue Wheaten, 1/4 Wheaten and 1/4 Splash
    Wheaten.

Wheaten x Splash Wheaten = All Blue Wheaten

Blue Wheaten x Splash Wheaten = 1/2 Splash Wheaten and 1/2 Blue Wheaten

Splash Wheaten x Splash Wheaten = All Splash Wheaten

2. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009

ok lets make a few points clear. when you talk about lavender you are talking about a phenotype which includes the following genotypes. a self black bird which are mostly Extended black birds E/E(Extended Black) and other genes palying its part to make a completely black bird. then these black birds need to be turn into a self lavender birds. how is that done? with the recessive autosomal(none sex linked) recessive lavender gene lav/lav. one copy of this gene lav/Lav+(Lav+ is the wildtype counter part) when a bird has only one copy then it will not show its lavender color. but it will be hidden leaving an entirely black bird...

wheaten is also a phenotype made up of birds that are mostly wildtype in nature and there fore most of their genes are found on the Red jungle fowl birds. thats why the Males of the "Wheaten" birds are duck wing patterned just like the Red jungle fowl. infact the most significant mutant found on these "Wheaten" birds that are not found on the Wildtype is the wheaten e allele(eWh) intead of the wildtype e+ e allele.

example of a wildtype wheaten bird. Black Breasted Red Cubalaya
    [​IMG]

now compared to the Red Jungle Fowl
    [​IMG]

so if you Cross this "Wheaten" bird that is mostly wildtype in nature and most of its genes are recessive in nature. to a Self lavender gene. you will get all Black chicks at hatch and mostly all Black adults..Why?

the Extended Black e allele is Dominant over the wheaten e allele(eWh)
    Melanotic(Ml) is dominant over the none melanotic wildtype counter part ml+ found on these type of wildtype birds. and since they will only have one copy of lavender, then all of them will not be lavender.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by