Blue wheaten?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by rrand5, Aug 20, 2016.

1. rrand5

rrand5 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2016
    Hi everyone
    Just wondering if this little guy is considered blue wheaten? He looks like he has a lot more red on him then other blue wheatens I have seen. I did get him from a breeder, I was only after splash but she didn't have enough to fill my order so she asked if it was okay if he went in too. I know that since the color is not an accepted color he is technically an EE. Also I'm pretty sure he is a Roo but would love to hear if anyone thinks otherwise :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    It's hard to tell if that would be Blue Wheaten at this age, I would wait until they are fully mature.

3. rrand5

Apr 11, 2016
    Thank you for your response. He is about 7 weeks old, do you think it's a rooster also?

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Blue Wheaten in the closest. He may be poor quality or a cull for color, doesn't mean there's any thing wrong with him unless you're looking at breeding to the SOP.

5. rrand5

Apr 11, 2016
    Thanks! Definitely not breeding to SOP, I only have splash hens. Was thinking about using him to make EE's or cross him with one of my BCM hens for Olive Eggers :)

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    He should be very happy doing that for you [​IMG]

With the splash hens, you'll get splash wheaten and blue wheaten, very pretty. Again, probably not the "best" color, but for a backyard flock, that's not so much an issue.

With the BCMs, you'll get blue and black, solid or wheaten. again, very pretty. and should be some nice Olive eggers.

7. rrand5

Apr 11, 2016
    Thank you :) He's still young but I'm excited to play around with breeding all these beautiful chickens. This is our first year with chickens and I am completely addicted!!

8. harmesonfarm

harmesonfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2015
    Nanaimo, BC
    @rrand5 I completely understand! This is our second fall coming up with chickens and I've gone completely chicken obsessed, I wouldn't be surprised if some friends are getting concerned. [​IMG]

He is a very pretty Roo, it looks like he'll have some lovely feathering!

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    beautiful little guy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by