Blue Wheaton Ameraucana weak and sick, very thin and eye closed

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Foghorngreenhorn, May 21, 2010.

1. Foghorngreenhorn

Foghorngreenhorn Hatching

May 21, 2010
    Ok peeps, i know this is probably somewhere on this forum, i usually find everything i need here thanks to ya'll. This time i have to ask for help because i dont think i have time to read and read. I have a Blue Wheaton Ameracauna Roo name Amos. Amos was healthy a week ago... He started looking tired and droopy first, let his tail feathers droop , now one eye is closed i dont see any sign yet of mucus or ooze on the nose area , a little watery eye though on the one that is open. He is very light and his crop is maybe large strawberry sized and mushy... He feels like he hasnt eaten in days , breastbone protruding badly... I see no signs of Trauma, bleeding or anything like that, my birds are kept under roof with lots of clean fresh food and water at all times. The breeder i got Amos from had been feeding him scratch for a while , and when i brought him and his lady friends home i put them on 16% layer pellets, theres always Alphalpa hay hanging on the side of the coop, and i throw scratch to them two to three times a week. I try to keep grit available but i just sprinkle it on the ground. I had a concrete block holding a waterer up in this pen before i went to nipple drinkers, two weeks ago when i moved the block a rat ran out, it had been staying in the hole in the block where i couldnt see it, could it be mites , would mites make my buddy sick? I have also noticed some green poop, kinda runny... (sorry for the visual) but no blood.If anyone thinks they know what it is please help. Thanks in advance for any response! Oh yeah , Amos is about 1 year old!

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  2. ChIck3n

ChIck3n Chirping

Apr 12, 2010
    Texas A&M
    Maybe something is blocking his crop and not allowing much food to pass through. You could try giving him some mineral oil to help the food slide through. He probably won't drink it, so get a syringe and give him some a little bit at a time. Try no more than 1cc at first, more can be given later if needed (you don't want to accidentally choke him).

Have you ever wormed your birds? It might possibly be a worm infestation (though if it was this bad, you should be able to see worm fragments in the droppings).

Perhaps someone else has more ideas?

3. Foghorngreenhorn

May 21, 2010
    It's been a while, and not all my birds have been since i started from scratch again, most of my birds are about 1 year old, but these guys are new to me, about three months or so (still about 1 y/o), so i dont know if they were wormed before. I dont really see the fragments but i wont say it isnt worms since im not sure. Would it help to just worm my birds, do you have a wormer you recommend and a dosage? Thank you for responding also, i usually wont post on forums but im worried about my bird!

4. Foghorngreenhorn

May 21, 2010
    ok , update... i went out to give him some more electrolytes , when i opened his beak , it was thick mucus, the closed eye , i cleaned the crusty mucus out of it and he had it opened but the mucus was coming back fast, i injected .25CC of Tylan 50... think that might help ???

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  5. Foghorngreenhorn

May 21, 2010
    Ok , i dont know if this will help anyone. I've read other posts similar , so this wont be new to some. Amos had the swollen left eye that i've read a lot of posts about. I read somewhere on here to get the "puss" out of the eye , so i did... He didnt like it but I worked and worked at it untill it was all out.

If you have a weak stomach , do not proceed...

I'm not trying to be gross here, im just trying to describe this in detail , as it seems to have fixed the problem. The "puss" came out in large nasty clumps, it was rubbery yellow/white clumps about the size of a mans pinky nail on down to tiny specs. I couldnt beleive how much came out. I had to open his eye and work it out and slide it off his eye one peice at a time. I gently pushed up on the roof of his mouth with a q-tip and more of this gunk came out of his eye. There was a little blood on th q-tip so im thinking some kind of infection. When i finally got it all out he seemed to improve almost instantly! His eye was swollen and seemed to go down in a matter of hours. I had started giving him injections of Tylan50 the day before , so i finished the three day 1/4cc recomendation. He would not eat or drink so i shot electrolytes down his throut every few hours and had them in his waterer. He started eating on his own roughly 6 hours after i pushed the crud out of the eye. He seems to be improving rapidly now.

If your have a hen/rooster that starts drooping their feathers, he kinda looked like he had gotten really hot. Keep a close watch on the eyes. If one is closed (seems to be the left most of the time) try to get the gunk out asap. I hope this helps any of you out, keep your fingers crossed for me, Amos seems to be ok

Thanks for all the info you guys and gals provide!

6. Birdgirl

Birdgirl Songster

Mar 18, 2009
    Indiana
    good for you, hope hes ok ad gets better

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: