blue wheaton crossed to blue red?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by encorepistol, Jan 25, 2010.

1. encorepistol

encorepistol Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    MO
    I've got 2 blue wheaton oegb pullets and since my cockerel was killed I no longer have a bird to breed them to. A buddy of mine has a blue breasted red oegb roo and I was wondering what the chicks would turn out to be. I know that blue red and blue wheaton roos are similar in color but not sure if the cross would work to throw blue wheaton pullets with cockerels being blue red!!

2. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    It is very difficult to tell the difference between a male that true BBR or Wheaten. There is a diffence but it is very slight (usually in the coloring of the hackle but not always). Remember breeding blue to blue is going to give you splash, blue and black (regardless of what ever is in the mix). So, you should get wheaten, bbr, blue wheaten, blue breasted red, and various splashes. saladin

3. encorepistol

encorepistol Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    MO
    Thanks that's kinda what I was thinking.

4. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    By the way, just as a side note, I love blue. It is a very usefully color.

You can use it to clean up the red out of black and to make white whiter! saladin

5. YB192004

YB192004 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2009
    SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
    Correct me if i am wrong. By crossing that, you might get some sports too. If you want blue wheaten, breed the lighter red offspring back to the hens then you will get blue wheaten. The only different between bbred and wheaten is lighter red and darker red on hackles and saddles. Show quality birds should have same color in hackles and saddles.

6. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    I don't know if this will apply to US birds but here Partridge bred BBR males usually have dark legs, & Wheaten bred BBR males have light legs.
    David

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by