1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blue Wyandottes

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by momma-hen, Jun 24, 2007.

1. momma-hen

momma-hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2007
    Connecticut
    I've seen the blue laced reds, but are there any blue wyandottes to be had in the USA? All the pics of them on feathersite are from germany. Are they not raised here?

2. Julie in Al

Julie in Al Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Dothan, Al
    CAn you believe I saw some really nice ones at an auction out in the middle of nowhere in Al. I don't know who owned them but they had blue and splash and they were so pretty. I didn't know what they were at first cause I did not know there were any Blue Wyandottes. Apparently there are some in the USA. The Auction was three weeks ago.

3. momma-hen

Jan 25, 2007
    Connecticut
    You must be psychic....my next question was gonna be if they come in Splash too, or is that a "blue" thing?

4. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    While breeding Blue to Blue, you will get Blue, Black and Splash.

I've seen Blue Wyandottes for sale at 1-2 hatcheries. Im not positive which ones they were thought. Sandhill and Privett maybe? I forgot. [​IMG]

5. Julie in Al

Jan 18, 2007
    Dothan, Al
    I hope you can find some. I don't have any Wyandottes but do admire the breed. I would love to have some golden laced but trying to keep the number of breeds down to 3. Of course that includes different colors of what I have.

6. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Blue wyandottes are rare, we got 2 hens for a genetics project and they ended up costing about $50 each, they came from a breeder in Ohio. The black wyandottes are kinda hard to find to but if you can find one, cross it to a BLR, you should get solid colored blacks and reds, then just keep crossing back to blacks and you will have your own strain. The blues are much more common in bantams.

7. Julie in Al

Jan 18, 2007
    Dothan, Al
    Wow, 50 dollars? I should have bought those at the Auction. They were standards and very nice quality chickens. Hmm. I am going next weekend again, maybe i can find out who has them or maybe there will be more there for sale.

8. momma-hen

Jan 25, 2007
    Connecticut
    I founs some!! *insert dancing icon here*
    Now, to convince DH that 30 chickens is not enough..... [​IMG]

9. Julie in Al

Jan 18, 2007
    Dothan, Al
    Well, that is great momma. I bet your hubby will let you have a few more. I have people ask me all the time "How many chickens do you Have"?. I always say " I don't know, and I am not counting them. However many you see in these pens is how many I have." That way I am not under pressure to downsize anymore. I do know how many are here or there but I don't add the numbers even in my head.

10. nightshade

nightshade Chillin' With My Peeps

There is a back yard breeder here in Pa I got some from here in Pa for FREE. He said they were too small for breeding stock so they were useless to him. I went to pick them up and he gave us the most beautiful roo I think I have ever seen to go with them and 4 buff brahama hens and 2 roos to go with them that he had and said were also too small for breeding show birds. To small they were the biggest dang birds I have. The BLRW is as big as a small turkey! If I can find his number I will give it to you. maybe he would sell or even give you some if you called. Really nice guys they were and such beautiful birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by