Blue x White genetics?

Quote:
It depends on if you are dealing with dominant or recessive white. What kinds of birds are you crossing?

x2

Recessive white - You get 50/50 blue or black birds and whatever the white may be hiding, such as possible barring.

It would depend on the white. lots of things can be hiding underneith that would make it different. Lots of different things make white

It really does not matter whether it is dominant or recessive. There is no reliable prediction--the offspring get their genes from both parents, and you can only tell what is present in the non-white parent, not in the white parent.

Leghorns tend to be dominant white, so all of your first generation would be white, but breeding siblings together could produce some BBS birds. Who are you planning on using for the blue parent?

You could probably achieve your goal in a few generations with blue andalusians. Are there no blue Leghorns in the US? I can't say I've seen them, nor have I looked for them...

Quote:
Leghorns are far, far, far from my specialty, but if the white also has the genes for light or dark brown under the white, red would show in the first generation as the offspring would only have one copy of white.

Quote:
Leghorns are far, far, far from my specialty, but if the white also has the genes for light or dark brown under the white, red would show in the first generation as the offspring would only have one copy of white.

This is quite possible. I've been trying to find out what colors white Leghorns might be hiding. I suppose it depends on the line.

I just saw a flock of more than 50 Blue Ameraucana x White Leghorns this weekend, and other than a couple black flecks, they were all white. Of course they were all pullets. I bet you would see some other colors bleeding through in the males.

Back
Top Bottom