blueberries stop laying???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by hbartfield, May 20, 2010.

1. hbartfield

hbartfield New Egg

Nov 3, 2009
    I was told not to feed fruit to chickens, it will cause them to stop laying.

2. macmama

macmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
    Ours get leftover strawberries and other berries all of the time... and they lay just fine, but I've only had chickens for a couple of months so I'm definitely not an expert. [​IMG]

3. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    I think this is only a concern in large quantities. the odd table scraps or handfull to the girls shouldn't throw them off cycle. the concern is I think too much vit. c can block the absorbsion of either protein or calcium. as with anything, too much of a good thing..may not end up being a good thing. I say give them a treat(a small amount) and see what happens

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    If you feed ONLY fruit it will cause them to stop laying.

Keep their layer ration freely available to them and let them have all the fruit they want or that you have to give them. They should keep on laying.

5. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    It would take a lot of fruit and even then I think this started because fruit is so low in calcium, high in phosphorous, and often acidic. That creates a calcium deficiency if you feed too much. You'd probably have to give them all the berries off the entire bush though.

6. laturcotte1

laturcotte1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    The dish is always full so is fresh water. Every night the horse get apples before bed time. I have to walk by the hens house so they get 1/2 an apple in each dish diced up small. They love it. Cheap canned peaches, pears, fruit cocktail they love. BJ's Cosco places like that have huge cans cheap. Chickens will/can eat just about anything. I do, however, have a rooster that won't eat any kind of meat unless its moving.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by