1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

blueberry yum yum

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by DirtCreature, Aug 9, 2011.

1. DirtCreature

DirtCreature Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington
    I have noticed my flock fallows me around the yard, and in one of our "walks" i stopped to eat some ripe blueberrys, i offered one to one of my hens, and they went crazy. Now anytime im by the blueberry bush they line up and wait paiently for a berry or two, [​IMG] and ive noticed doing yard work that they are now helping them selfs to my stash of ripe berrys, they jump up [​IMG] and grab a branch rip it off and carry it away were they all take turns pecking off the berrys... LOL. is it ok for them to be helping them selfs to the berrys...? will they get sick if im not able to monitor how many they ar eating?

2. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    You should get a video of it, so funny [​IMG]

3. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    hahaha
    youve created a couple of blueberry monsters!!![​IMG]
    i have kids that do the same thing!!

4. top of the hill

top of the hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Connecticut
    lol! that is too funny!

Chickens self regulate when they eat, so I am pretty sure they won't get sick from too many. I leave my girls watermelon in the morning and they love it, but they always stop and hang out for a bit before going back in for some more. I suspect yours are doing the same... a few berries here and there.

5. janinepeters

janinepeters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2009
    Mine do jumping jacks at the blueberry bushes, too! It's hilarious! They start jumping for them long before they are ripe, eat as many as they can reach, and never seem to get sick from it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by