Bluegrass music anyone? Who are your favs?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by EllyMae, Dec 6, 2008.

1. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

I mean seriously, is there any other music? Just kidding, I listen to a lot of different music but Bluegrass is my favorite. I grew up with it(I grew up in the Southern App mountains, go figure, lol) and it holds a lot of happy memories for me and puts a smile on my face.

A few of my favorites--Randy Waller, Ralph Stanley, Del McCoury, Earl Scruggs. Oh and I live in the same county that Earl Scruggs is from, lol.

2. country lady

country lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    NW Tennessee
    I love Bluegrass too, the old music. I also love gospel, more the happy beat. I grew up listening to gospel. My DH and two sons feel nothing but it just makes me happy. My grandmother hummed and sang all the time when I was growing up. Her family was musical. Almost everyone played an instrument. She played the guitar. My dad could play about five instruments, some just chords. I think in the old days, there was no TV, etc. so people just made their own entertainment.

3. Fowl-Language

Fowl-Language Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Longview, WA
    My ex-husband was (and presumably still is) a bluegrass banjo picker. In spite of this, I still really love bluegrass [​IMG] He idolized Earl Scruggs of course; I really love Jim and Jesse McReynolds, who we saw in person, along with Ralph Stanley (I shook his hand!!) and Alison Krauss ( who our daughter is middle-named after). I also really, really love the Carter Family, which some consider folk rather than bluegrass. Jeez, I used to live in Charlotte, and I recall driving through the town where Earl Scruggs is from, but can't recall it for the life of me...Shelby? Beautiful country.

4. junebug7334

junebug7334 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Now you are talking my language! "oh yonder stands little maggie..........with a dram glass in her hand"[​IMG]

5. junebug7334

junebug7334 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    also new on the scene are "The Honey Dewdrops" check them out!

6. EllyMae

Quote:And don't forget Pretty Polly, one of my favs of his.[​IMG]

7. CATRAY44

CATRAY44 Lard Cookin Chicken Woman

Love it !!!

8. EllyMae

On Saturdays here a local radio station plays bluegrass all day on a show called "Going Across the Mountain". Needless to say I make my 13yo daughter nuts. She will one day appreciate it [​IMG]

9. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    I saw Ricky Skaggs in concert down in Austin last year. Also like Alison Krauss. Sirius radio has a pretty good bluegrass station.

10. emilyfrancis

emilyfrancis Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2008
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    High range is a great band out of NH with a touch of the new engalnd flavor!
    One of my favorites

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by