Blueing comb, lethargic, puffy chest and threw up black stinky liquid!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tmatthews, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Tmatthews

Tmatthews Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2009
    Cadiz
    I have a chicken who has been lethargic lately. He comb has been slowly turning blue towards the back of it. I checked on her tonight and she wasn't on the roost. She was on the floor of the coop. I picked her up and her chest felt puffy and squishy. And then she suddenly threw up a very smelly black colored liquid. Is this advanced heart failure? Thanks for any suggestions!!!!

2. SaraFL

SaraFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    I have not dealt with this situation before, but wanted to send my hopes that the chicken gets better. I do wonder about internal bleeding though. I guess if she was losing blood that would make the comb less red, right? And black vomit could be blood?

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:Yes some sort of Oxygen depravation or internal bleeding, has she been injured ??, got into anything she shouldn't have ?? If she is a hatchery bird then she may have any number of hidden ailments due to the breeding technics.

4. Tmatthews

Jul 17, 2009
    Cadiz
    Thanks for the sentiments! I guess all you're saying could be true. I'm truly stumped. We only have 4 hens and we've been battling respiratory problems with a few of them for weeks now! We had to put one down, and one of our hens is being treated a second time now for pneumonia! This chicken that has the blue comb doesn't seem to have any sort of respiratory problem. I think this is just something unrelated. I have no idea how old she is. I'm just getting frustrated with the whole thing! If it weren't for the fact my husband loves having chickens for their eggs, I would take a break for a while. I absolutely love chickens, but I'm wore out from worrying about them!!! UGH!

5. Tmatthews

Jul 17, 2009
    Cadiz
    I don't think she was injured. She looks good everywhere. I think whatever it is, it's too late. I think I may have my husband put her down tomorrow. I told him I do not want her to suffer any longer!!

6. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    Yeah, too bad. How long has she been exhibiting symptoms? She could have some sort of crop problem?

7. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    That sounds like a gi bleed and advanced too, did she get hold of rat poison?

8. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Achickenwrangler#1 :

That sounds like a gi bleed and advanced too, did she get hold of rat poison?

x2​

9. SaraFL

SaraFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    If it is rat poison, I believe the antidote is Vitamin K, but I'm not sure how much or where you would get that other than a vet. Oh, and that antidote is for people and dogs, I'm assuming it's the same for chickens.

10. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    yes, vit k and plasma...get from a vet if chicken still alive, rat poison is same as warfarin or coumadin

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by