Bluejay question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by zippitydooda, Dec 9, 2010.

1. zippitydooda

zippitydooda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Ottawa, Ohio
    About a half hour ago a male bluejay smacked really hard into our window and hurt himself. I'm not sure what the extent of injuries are. He was laying on his back, eyes open & blinking, breathing and legs curled up. Since he was laying on really cold concrete, I picked him up with a hand towel and turned him so he is on his belly and kept him wrapped up loosely, setting him on a padded chair outside. He is still alive but not moving. Think he broke his neck or something? What should I do?

~~~~~~~~~~~
    Nevermind.... he is on his feet and perched on the end of the chair. Looking better. I think he knocked himself out. Wow, what territorial little birds they are. He must have seen his reflection in the window.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  2. Nekhebet

Nekhebet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Erie
    Google animal rescues in your area. Back home I used Project Wildlife...I took them a songbird who I found on the sidewalk bleeding from its mouth. They said it just smacked into something...so they gave it some steroids or something, and released it when it healed. Point is, there are places that will take it that know more about wild delicate things than we do.
    Good luck finding one [​IMG]

Thank you for caring.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    If he broke his neck he'd be dead, we've had several do that, could be just needs to rest awhile we've had them do that too. Hope he makes it.

4. zippitydooda

zippitydooda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Ottawa, Ohio
    Update:

The little guy recovered enough to fly into the tree... he sat on the end of the chair for a good 20 minutes. I got to take a picture of him. He looks young, and is very beautiful btw. The picture is through a window... sorry.

Thanks for suggestions!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by