1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

BlueSplash Silkie ?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SilkieCRZYness, Oct 19, 2009.

1. SilkieCRZYness

SilkieCRZYness Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Florida
    I've seen some bluesplash silkies out there. If you entered one in a meet, could it just win best variety, since its not a reconized color? Or can it win say feather footed bantam class and possibly grand champion? just wondering. Also, what would you breed to it for more offspring like it, a blue or splash rooster? thanks:D

2. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    blue splashed and splashed is the same thing and it is recongnized It can take
    Best of veriety
    reserve of veriety
    Best of breed
    reserve of breed
    champion feather leg
    reserve feather leg
    champion bantam
    reserve bantam
    best of show
    reserve of show

this is in order
    you have to get best of veriety to take best of breed then best of breeds compete for champion featherleg and so on...

3. briarpatchfarms

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    you never want to breed splashed to splashed for to many generations it delutes the color or bleeches them out!
    I would breed to a blue roo that gives you 50% blue chicks and 50% splashed chicks. you can also breed blues black and splashes all together and they throw those three colors!

4. SilkieCRZYness

Jun 9, 2008
    Florida
    Oh cool now i see, i have 1 black, two blue and one splash, ill figure out there sexes and prolly have a blue roo bc my splash is a pullet. the others are youn yet. BUTTT i have two white babies two, soo maybe ill just seperate them. if there both pullets for some lucky chance, if a blue bred to them, would it just be a mut? thanks

5. briarpatchfarms

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    No more than likley you will get blues with silver hackles big nono! hardest thing to get rid of! But you can breed
    black to blue or reverse 50% black and 50% blue
    black to splash or reverse for 100% blues
    blue to splash or reverse 50% blue and 50% splash
    splash to splash 100% splash
    blue to blue 50% blue 25% splashed 25% black
    black to black 100% black

Theres all the genetics youll need to breed BBS silkies haha! gets confusing for even me sometimes!
    But just hope the whites are a pair because the whites are recessive and its hard telling what can come out of them!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  6. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Quote:I don't think Blue x Blue = 100% Blue I thought it was more along the lines of 25% Blue, 25% Splash and 50% Black

7. SilkieCRZYness

Jun 9, 2008
    Florida
    well even so, that really helps and i will definitely be seperating my whites, now im hopeing for a cockeral and pullet, whats the chances of that, i guess 50/50 but with my luck, prolly 10/90 lol

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Well, it is sort of in order, except that you listed reserve after best for each level.

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  10. briarpatchfarms

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    Quote:Well, it is sort of in order, except that you listed reserve after best for each level.

reserve of veriety can take reserve breed and so on is how I was trying to put it, it was late last night got sleepy I was even messing up show entry forms and had to go back two or three times!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by