BLUEST & LARGEST EGGS AMERAUCANA OR CREAM LEGBAR?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by shaneensmith, Dec 14, 2018.

1. shaneensmith

shaneensmith Chirping

Nov 26, 2018
    Quesnel, BC
    Hello everyone, I am loving blue eggs right now...I am curious to know WHICH BREED will lay the BIGGEST AND BLUEST EGG! I am also interested in doing everything I can of course for their comfort and feed to achieve this...but in general, which breed will offer the biggest and bluest? Cream Legbar or Ameraucana? What are your experience and thoughts? Cheers!

bfarms, Aceoky and Melky like this.
  2. Thejperez

Thejperez Crowing

Oct 7, 2014
    Florida
    I've never had any pure Ameraucana, only EEs, or any cream legbars at all.
    The stock you get is really what determines how blue the eggs are. If you get commercial hatchery birds you'll most likely get Easter Eggers instead of Ameraucana, Still a beautiful chicken, but not a Ameraucana. My first 'Ameraucana' was a hatchery chick that was gifted to me by a family member and she layed a cream colored egg.

Others might have more experience with both breeds to answer the question better, but like I said earlier, start with great stock to get great eggs, color wise that is.

3. puffypoo

puffypoo Like Machine

Oct 3, 2015
    Massachusetts
    I don’t have experience with either of those breeds, but I do know that you have to be SURE that you are getting true Ameraucanas. Most hatcheries and feed stores sell ‘ameraucanas’ but They are actually Easter Eggers, which typically lay green but they can be any color.
    If you buy from a hatchery, go for a CCL for a lower chance of mixup. If you go to a breeder, either will work.

Melky likes this.
  4. Brahma Chicken5000

Brahma Chicken5000 Araucana Addict

Sep 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Araucanas, Ameraucanas, and Legbars are guaranteed to lay blue eggs.
    The egg on the right is from an F1 Easter Egger, the 2 eggs on the left are from true Ameraucanas 96313D61-6359-4ABA-8D30-A19F1EBDEFE3.jpeg

5. Melky

Melky Spring has sprung!

Jul 23, 2018
    Edgewood, KY
    My Coop
    I don’t own colorful egg layers but the Easter Egger lays one of the largest blue eggs. However they may not all lay a blue egg rarely they may lay another color. Another large blue egg layer but may get broody on you is the Super Blue. See below.
    https://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Baby-Chicks/Super-Blue-Egg-Layer-p1945.aspx

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    This says it all^^^

7. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    I have an Ameraucana. There is nothing that wows me about the SIZE of her eggs. They are close to the same size of most of my brown layers, maybe medium to large. I have not weighed them.

PattyNH, Melky and puffypoo like this.
  8. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    Top egg, Bielefelder
    Middle, Ameraucana
    Bottom, Swedish duck

Not the greatest lighting in terms of color, but you can see the size. Her eggs are quite pale in general.
    IMG_6918.JPG

OhZark Biddies and Melky like this.
  9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Have never had Ameraucanas, real ones cost too much and are not available near me.
    The Cream Legbars are pretty pale and small.
    EE's have given me the best blues, and were pretty good layers.

Pure breed colorful egg layers often don't lay a ton.

10. CourtKnee

CourtKnee Chirping

May 1, 2018
    Southern CA, high desert
    4B9E330A-D1E9-44ED-AAFB-5920EE9916DA.jpeg
    The blue egg on top is from my Splash Ameracauna from My Pet Chicken, and the egg directly under that one is from our Easter Egger. Both of these eggs are still on the smaller side because Pig and Frida just started laying. Also, my Ameracauna Pig has the best personality ever. She is so lovely and personable, and insists on cuddles. In retrospect I would have more of her! And though our Easter Egger Frida has come around a lot, she is incredibly skittish. If personality plays a part at all. I’m sure some EE are lovely and personable as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: