BLUEST & LARGEST EGGS AMERAUCANA OR CREAM LEGBAR?

shaneensmith

Songster
Nov 26, 2018
Quesnel, BC
Hello everyone, I am loving blue eggs right now...I am curious to know WHICH BREED will lay the BIGGEST AND BLUEST EGG! I am also interested in doing everything I can of course for their comfort and feed to achieve this...but in general, which breed will offer the biggest and bluest? Cream Legbar or Ameraucana? What are your experience and thoughts? Cheers!

I've never had any pure Ameraucana, only EEs, or any cream legbars at all.
The stock you get is really what determines how blue the eggs are. If you get commercial hatchery birds you'll most likely get Easter Eggers instead of Ameraucana, Still a beautiful chicken, but not a Ameraucana. My first 'Ameraucana' was a hatchery chick that was gifted to me by a family member and she layed a cream colored egg.

Others might have more experience with both breeds to answer the question better, but like I said earlier, start with great stock to get great eggs, color wise that is.

I don’t have experience with either of those breeds, but I do know that you have to be SURE that you are getting true Ameraucanas. Most hatcheries and feed stores sell ‘ameraucanas’ but They are actually Easter Eggers, which typically lay green but they can be any color.
If you buy from a hatchery, go for a CCL for a lower chance of mixup. If you go to a breeder, either will work.

Araucanas, Ameraucanas, and Legbars are guaranteed to lay blue eggs.
The egg on the right is from an F1 Easter Egger, the 2 eggs on the left are from true Ameraucanas
96313D61-6359-4ABA-8D30-A19F1EBDEFE3.jpeg

I've never had any pure Ameraucana, only EEs, or any cream legbars at all.
The stock you get is really what determines how blue the eggs are. If you get commercial hatchery birds you'll most likely get Easter Eggers instead of Ameraucana, Still a beautiful chicken, but not a Ameraucana. My first 'Ameraucana' was a hatchery chick that was gifted to me by a family member and she layed a cream colored egg.

Others might have more experience with both breeds to answer the question better, but like I said earlier, start with great stock to get great eggs, color wise that is.

I don’t own colorful egg layers but the Easter Egger lays one of the largest blue eggs. However they may not all lay a blue egg rarely they may lay another color. Another large blue egg layer but may get broody on you is the Super Blue. See below.
https://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Baby-Chicks/Super-Blue-Egg-Layer-p1945.aspx

4B9E330A-D1E9-44ED-AAFB-5920EE9916DA.jpeg

The blue egg on top is from my Splash Ameracauna from My Pet Chicken, and the egg directly under that one is from our Easter Egger. Both of these eggs are still on the smaller side because Pig and Frida just started laying. Also, my Ameracauna Pig has the best personality ever. She is so lovely and personable, and insists on cuddles. In retrospect I would have more of her! And though our Easter Egger Frida has come around a lot, she is incredibly skittish. If personality plays a part at all. I’m sure some EE are lovely and personable as well.

Back
Top Bottom