Blukote having opposite effect

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by newmarch2014, Apr 14, 2017.

1. newmarch2014

newmarch2014 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2014
    My little bantam polish has a bare spot at the top of her head, I thought it was just filling in weird but the pin feathers are gone and its getting a little calloused or scabbed. So I put Blukote on it. I had never actually seen anyone pick at her till now. They are fascinated and obsessed with it! I separated her and the other polish by putting a box witha grate in the brooder but what can I do now?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I have always had good luck with BluKote on my Polish when heads were pecked. Other people have also complained that it did not work or attracted more pecking. I would separate for a couple of days with some plain neosporin on the wounds. Then you could either try some Nustock, an opaque pine oil and sulfur-based cream that is healing and bad tasting, to apply daily to her head. There is also a product called Alushield, an aluminum based wound spray that coats it silver and is found in some feed stores and online. Or you will need to keep her put up until the feathers have grown in, in about 5 weeks.

3. newmarch2014

Mar 27, 2014
    Thanks for answering, I will look for one of those. So frustrated, prob would have been fine if I would have just left it alone.....

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You won't ever know if leaving her alone would have ended up being better. It may have been worse, with her getting scalped as so many end up. I'm glad that you noticed what was going on. Treatments don't always work for every chicken every time.

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Blu-kote only masks the redness...Vaseline will stop the picking...Chickens hate Vaseline...;)

Best wishes...

Cheers!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  6. newmarch2014

Mar 27, 2014
    Oh! had no clue, and it is more readily available till later today, will try it thanks!

7. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Yes, try it and lather it on a bit....;)...A dirty Bird is better than a picked Bird......:)

Best wishes !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by