BluKote or Pine Tar--which is better?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jmc, Oct 21, 2009.

1. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    If a bird gets a cut on leg, foot, comb, back lacerations..............

I've heard great things about pine tar

I know BlueKote is out there and has its own reputation.

I also wonder if eating the pine tar would poison the bird.

I'd rather go with pine tar than spraying bluekote and wasting most of what i spray.

advice from the pros?

TX

2. Lupine hens

Lupine hens Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2009
    Carp
    I used pine tar on one of my hens that the dog really tore up around the neck.She was quiet for a couple of days and really didn't eat but did drink. This happened in June and she has been great since then making a steady recovery.She has even grown back her feathers.The tar seems to do a couple of things , gives some sort of antiseptic and smells really bad so the other hens left her alone. I learned about pine tar from a local farmer(4th generation) who told me that it was the only thing he ever used on his livestock, and he learned that from his father and grandfather.Other than the hen looking abit "tarred" I really don't think it hurt her.Hope this helps.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Pine tar.

4. Laffindog

Laffindog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2008
    Texas
    I haven't heard about pine tar. Where can you get it?

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:At tractor supply stores, farmer's co-ops and the like. It'll probably be in the equine section as it's primarily used on horse's hooves.
    I had one case of pecking when my chickens were little. It put a stop to it real quick. The label will say something about it not being for internal consumption, but the chickens don't eat enough of it to hurt them. They hate it on their beaks and will run around doing everything they can to get it off.

6. Laffindog

Laffindog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2008
    Texas
    Thank you, gritsar. I don't have a need for it at the moment but I like knowing about different products and people's opinions about them in case I ever do need it. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by