BO and Ameraucana - Cockerel or Pullet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by moana-az, Aug 17, 2010.

1. moana-az

moana-az New Egg

Aug 17, 2010
    I'm new to chickens, and am loving it! ... got 7 chicks about 2-3 months ago. All were supposed to be girls. Already had to find a new home for a Blue Andalusian cockerel - he was easy to spot because he developed differently from another BA I have and he started crowing at a young age.

Have 2 more chickens that may be roos. A Buff Orpington and an Ameraucana. The BO started making a honking sound a week or so ago. Today the honk is more elongated, kinda a "honk-a-honk." The Ameraucana isn't making anything like a crow yet, but this may be due to the fact that he/she's lower on the pecking order. I question the Ameraucana's gender because it's bigger than my other Ameraucana and has a larger pinkish-red comb coming in.

First two photos are "Marley" the BO. Third photo is "Michelle" (maybe "Sheldon"?). They are currently between 3 and 4 months old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    The ameraucana is actually an easter egger and he is a cockerel. I am not any good at sexing BO, so can't help you there.

3. erin76

erin76 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    Battle Ground, WA
    I think the Bo is a roo...mine is 14 weeks and she doesn't have a comb like that yet....legs look thicker too...

4. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    bo is a roo

5. moana-az

moana-az New Egg

Aug 17, 2010
    An Easter Egger? What does that mean? (Sorry, again I'm new to chickens.)

6. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    an easter egger is a bird of mixed heritage that carries the blue egg gene.

ameraucanas have certain colors, body type, eye color, skin color, etc.

There is a sticky somewhere that has alot more information too if you do a "search".

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  7. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    An Easter Egger is a crossbreed (mutt), that somewhere in its ancestry has an Araucana or Ameraucana which gives the chicken certain characteristics like a muff, green legs, or lays a green or blue tone egg.
    Many of these are sold to people as Ameraucanas or Araucanas but aren't. Those who don't know the difference assume that is what they have until someone else gets them on the right track.

8. kylara70

kylara70 Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2010
    They are telling you that while your ameraucana was sold to you as an ameraucana, it is actually an ameraucana-mixed bird. Easter Egger is a nickname that refers to the fact that your bird may well have the gene for colored eggs (blue or green, thus easter eggs) it does not conform to the other breed standards for Ameraucana. This happens a lot, unfortunately. It is no big deal for those of us who want pretty eggs, just know that you will be corrected repeatedly if you call it an Ameraucana. [​IMG]

Carol

9. moana-az

moana-az New Egg

Aug 17, 2010
    Everyone who's posted thus far ... thank you for your replies. Minniechickmama and Kylara70 ... any thoughts on the gender of 2 birds in question?

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sorry, they both look like cockerels to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by