BO, BR, EE/Amer experts: are these 8 wk olds boys or girls?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 4myHennyPenny, Aug 21, 2007.

1. 4myHennyPenny

4myHennyPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Colorado
    No crowing yet, although now that I read about the "birthday blower" sound on another post, I'm a bit worried about 3 of them (they make this sound when you pick them up and they don't want to be held).

The two BRs are the largest, although the BO is pretty close to the same size. Comb is different on both of the BRs; couldn't find a great close-up of Turkey's, but the comb points aren't all in a straight line--a bit of a zig zag instead. None of the five have a definite red at the tips of the combs, thank goodness. The two EE/Amer look completely different, just as they did as chicks. One is significantly smaller than all the rest (she's just passed the size of a very large robin).

Henrietta, the BO. Her legs are very pale; don't really see any red in the comb yet.
    [​IMG]

Sage, Amer/EE. Really beautiful feathering; almost looks like she's 1/2 Golden Campine. Legs are very green. She was very fluffy as a chick and still has quite a bit of blue downy feathers on her bottom and beneath her wings. Neck feathers are very fluffy, and around face, too (sorry, don't know proper terminology).
    [​IMG]

Money Penny, the smaller of the Amer/EE. Her legs are also very green.
    [​IMG]

Turkey, BR. Difficult time to get pic of her, and her color is very washed out in this photo. She has the zig-zag type comb. Her tail feathers are still much shorter than all of the others. Splash of black down the front of her legs. Comb developed weeks before others, but no red to it yet.
    [​IMG]

Wanda, the other BR.
    [​IMG]

So, any guesses????

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Not quite as sure about Sage, but all others look girly to me. If you could get a shot of Sage's comb, it might help. Jody, are you here? These are your breeds. I'm better at the Barred Rocks than the EEs

3. 4myHennyPenny

Jun 4, 2007
    Colorado
    Thanks so much for replying, SpeckledHen! I was hoping you'd take a peek for me.

Here' a pic of Sage's comb last week at 7 weeks old. Not much of a comb:
    [​IMG]

4. DementedHam

DementedHam Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Southern California
    I have two 10 week old EE/amer. and my male has a defined red comb. I think you have all girls, almost certain.

5. 4myHennyPenny

Jun 4, 2007
    Colorado
    Sage's comb has maybe a bit more pink to it than at last week's photo, but it's definitely NOT red at all. And pink is more across top of beak, not just at the comb. So, will I have to wait and see on him/her and the possibility of more red in the next couple of weeks? BTW, the pink in Sage's comb isn't anymore than what Henrietta the BO has.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2007
  6. speckledhen

I do think Sage is a girl by that picture, mainly because of the middle ridge of the pea comb being the only ridge that stands out. The males usually have three distinct ridges by then, like a triple row of peas, actually. Take a look at a definite Ameraucana cockerel at five weeks old-note, no pink, but thick comb:
    [​IMG]

This is his brother, a little older:
    [​IMG]

Sister to the others:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. 4myHennyPenny

Jun 4, 2007
    Colorado
    Nope, her comb doesn't look anything like that, is definitely just a single ridge.

Now Turkey's (BR) comb started to look like that--gave it a bit of a zig zag appearance. But it's not developed into multiple ridges. Let me see if I have a good pic of it from a few weeks ago:
    [​IMG]
    The photo is from about 5 1/2 weeks. There was some pink at the base (beak), but never any at the tips of the comb. Comb still looks about the same, and isn't any larger than any of the others' (including the other BR, though hers is in a straight line).

Still think girl on Turkey, or does the comb mess it up a bit?

8. speckledhen

Combs vary with some tips that go one way or the other; that isnt a sex indicator at all. Still looks like a girl to me, just slightly lighter than Wanda.

9. 4myHennyPenny

Jun 4, 2007
    Colorado
    Who knew combs had so many variations??!!! As a newbie, I'm still learning and SO GLAD to have this forum. Thanks for posting the pics, speckledhen; didn't really understand until I saw your photos.

10. speckledhen

No problem. Here's my Lexie's comb, but if you want to see a zigzag comb, you ought to see my Olivia, LOL. She's half Barred Rock and the black hen in the second pic.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by