BO brooding hen keeps changing nest every 2 days! What to do?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ScrambledAcresFarm, Apr 18, 2009.

1. ScrambledAcresFarm

ScrambledAcresFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Caulfield, Missouri
    My hen is sitting on eggs! You would think this is great? But 2 days later she starts over again in a new nest! How do I fix this?[​IMG]

2. chickenlisa

chickenlisa Invincible Summer

Apr 9, 2007
    close her in? put a bog crate over her in the first nest and then don't let her out or anyone else in? Good Luck!

3. ScrambledAcresFarm

ScrambledAcresFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Caulfield, Missouri
    Actually how she's positioned I could put chicken wire across her box. Do you think this will really work? What about her eating?

4. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I put my broody nests in XL dog crates. When i see one being broody, I shut the door and put some food and water in with them, away from the nest and it seems to work for me.

5. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Put her somewhere separate from her coop mates. In the middle of the night, put a towel over her~don't turn on the lights, I use a flashlight~move her and some eggs to the new nest and place the towel over the whole cage, dog box, cardboard box, etc. All night and the next day she will sit quietly in that darkness while she gets used to her new nest. About the middle of the day you can remove that towel and give her availability to food and water in her new, private place.

It has worked for me 3 times with determined broodies. The last one was moved to a nest in the same pen as the last broody and her chicks. There were a few scuffles when the chicks came near the broody but they worked it out and they lived peacably together.

The problem is, when she gets off the nest for food or water, another hen gets in her place to lay an egg. She returns to find it occupied so she takes the "nest" best thing....another nest of eggs. This can go on all day! I've seen my broody on four different nests in a day's time. [​IMG] That's when I move them to their own place...... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by