BO Cockeral w/ Feathers on Legs?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by RubberChickenLubber, Nov 6, 2007.

1. RubberChickenLubber

RubberChickenLubber Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Newton, NC
    Does this mean he is a little bit of a cross, or is it possible that a BO has light feathering on legs. He is only 3 weeks

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

A Buff Orp should never have feathered legs. He must have something else in his background.

3. RubberChickenLubber

Oct 19, 2007
    Newton, NC
    That's what I thought. The lady I got them from (he is the only one w/ feathers on leg), sold me some interesting chicks. My BR has some frizzling, and ten toes, and my BO has feathers on his legs. Obviously these are true breeds, but it's ok, just for my backyard. Only paid $10 for six chicks.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Crosses are very interesting at times. The only thing I don't like is when they are sold as purebreds and they obviously are not. That being said, sometimes a rooster makes a visit to a pen he doesn't belong in and the seller of the chicks has no idea till unusual traits pop up in the birds later on.

5. RubberChickenLubber

Oct 19, 2007
    Newton, NC
    Also I figure in some cases the cross happened several generations back, and you have the rare appearance of that trait. So people could sale truely believing they have a true breed. I really don't believe there was any intentional misleading about the chicks I got. She bought the eggs from another person, and I've had the chicks since Sun. and just now noticed the legs. They really aren't very obvious.

6. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Is it a buff cochin by any chance??

7. RubberChickenLubber

Oct 19, 2007
    Newton, NC
    Quote:I don't think it is, at least not 100%. It doesn't have a whole lot of feathering on its legs like a cochin would.

8. RubberChickenLubber

Oct 19, 2007
    Newton, NC
    I'm really starting to wonder if he doesn't have some silkie in him. His feathers are coming out on his neck and they look like dandelion poof, and are a really light shade. I know you can't see him too well, but he is the one in front on my avatar.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by