BO cockerel who was "squatting" for me this morning ?!? PICS now ....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mojo Chick'n, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Ok, I have two BO cockerels I am planning to choose between for my new laying flock of BO's.

The largest one (and prettiest boy, so far) was squatting to me this morning in the coop when I went in to feed them. I mean seriously squatting - not just a passing dip and a bow.

His comb and wattles are not that big but they are red - is it possible it is a hen? I know, this is a worthless Q without pics - I'll go out in a few to try to get some.

The cockerels are younger than the pullets. The cockerels should be about 4.5 months old. (the pullets are closer to 6 months old).

I really adore this little "guy" so if he is a she, that's cool, too - just odd that he should be so reddish in the comb and be so submissive to me.

meri

Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'm guessing hen. I've never had a roo "squat".

PICS!!!

3. sred98

sred98 Songster

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I have never ever heard of any roo doing this. Sounds like you just have a mature female. She should be laying eggs any time now!

Shelly

4. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:Me, either. I have, however, had some buff orps girls with really really big combs.
    I'll look for the pictures and cross my fingers that you have a girly [​IMG]
    Christina

5. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Ok, ever had one of those "I was standing so close I couldn't see it" moments?

Stood back to take a pic and saw a little pullet after all. But I'll share pics anyway (have you ever seen a face THIS red before?)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The other cockerel (who I know is a cockerel [​IMG] ) he is trying to eat the camera here - he's a funny little guy, too.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and, in comparison, part of my confusion is due to the other girls ALL look more like this lady, here. (notice the pale comb/wattles)
    [​IMG]

thanks anyway [​IMG]

meri

Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  6. sred98

sred98 Songster

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    My guess is that she is getting ready to start laying any day. Mine all got super red right before laying. She's just a little more "mature" than the other girls. [​IMG]

I can see how you thought it was a roo, though, after comparing it to your others. Quite a difference!

Shelly

7. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    I have a BO that I woud swear is a roo, because her comb and wattles are bright red. But I know she's a girl, because my rooster who is seperated from her by a fence- likes to dance for her.

8. wjallen05

wjallen05 Songster

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    Whoa I am having the EXACT "problem" with my Buff Orpingtons!

I have three (who are 19 weeks old)... one has very pale comb/wattles (deff a girl), one has a HUGE comb/wattles (deff a boy), and then the other one has a comb/wattles exactly like yours!!! It is right in the middle of the two of them, and I still can't figure out for sure what it is, but I am pretty sure it's a girl.

Here's a pic of "it" 3 weeks ago at 16 weeks old. It still pretty much looks the same now.

[​IMG]

9. SunAngel

SunAngel Songster

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    I was having gender issues with my BO as well, but after posting Sunshines pic here, everyone votes pullet. She looks just as red as your squatter lol. The camera washed out some of the color on these two pics and I guess I deleted the really red ones.

She is just over 3 months old.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  10. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    They both look like pullets to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: