BO different colored legs

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Terrie Mac, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Terrie Mac

Terrie Mac Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    I have 2 lovable wonderful buff orpingtons. One has always been slightly bigger and slightly darker than the other. Today I noticed that the darker one has yellow colored legs and the other has white. Does this mean one of them is a roo?

2. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    Orpingtons are supposed to have white legs so yours might be a pure BO. If you post a pic we'll be able tell you if you have a rooster andif it's a BO. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Terrie Mac

May 17, 2011
    Zaxby's2 :

Orpingtons are supposed to have white legs so yours might be a pure BO. If you post a pic we'll be able tell you if you have a rooster andif it's a BO.

Thanks for responding! Here are a few pics I just took. Usually they're divas and pose but the wind mussed their feathers [​IMG]

This the two together
    [​IMG]

This is the one with white legs
    [​IMG]

This is the one with yellow legs
    [​IMG]

I bought them from the buff orpington container at a feed store. They are now 6 weeks old.​

4. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    Hmmm... How old are they? They're looking a little rooish. The one with yellow legs might be a buff plymouth rock(another pretty breed). You have beautiful birds! [​IMG]

5. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    The bird with the yellow legs is a Buff Rock. BO roos and pullets have pearl colored legs. Both are great birds so just enjoy the variety!

6. Terrie Mac

May 17, 2011
    Thank you for the replies. So the best case scenario is I have a buff orpington and a buff rock. Works for me! Glad to know that leg color doesn't determine the gender. They are only 6 weeks old so I'm still waiting a confirmation that their both gals so I can keep them.

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:They also could be Buff Orpington /Buff Rock crosses.
    Hatcheries are bad for crossing birds that "look the same". In the case of the Buff Orpington and Buff Rock they will cross them and if the offspring has White legs then it is a Orpington and if the legs are Yellow then it is a Rock.

They do the same with the Bared Rock an Dominique, they will cross the two breeds and if the offspring's comb is a single comb then it is a Barred Rock and if it has a rose comb then it is a Dominique.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by