BO Hen Gone Broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by edible_chicken, Mar 23, 2012.

1. edible_chicken

edible_chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Ohio
    I have a year old BO hen that is broody. Can I give her a baby chick and she be satisfied or do I need to give her a fertilized egg? thanks

EDIT: Nevermind, I searched the forum and found the answer. I searched before I posted and couldn't find the answer. thanks again!.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

For the most part, if she's been broody a couple of weeks already, she may very well accept newly hatched chicks. If she's still barely into her broody session, she might not be invested in the proccess enough to mother chicks.

In any case, whenever you do give them to her, do so at night on the nest. Make sure she tucks them under her and makes a contented clucking sound, then check on them early the next morning to see if she's still wanting to mother them.

Good luck!

3. edible_chicken

May 15, 2011
    Ohio
    thank you gryeyes for the information. i went to tsc and they have an order minimum of six. so i will have to find someone willing to buy six and so i can get one.

thanks again! [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  4. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    I would give her two in case somethign happened to one.

5. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

I'd give her all 6. But I'm hopelessly addicted.

6. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    My BO went broody and was sitting on eggs, however I don't have a rooster. I got 6 fertile eggs from a friend put them under her. Of the 6 only two hatched....she has been a great mother.
    About 4 or 5 days after the two chicks hatched I got 6 day old chicks and put them in with her. She accepted them but she was so busy with her other two chicks, finding food for them and teaching them things chicks need to know she did not sit on the new 6 enough to keep them warm. So i removed them. However she showed no aggression toward them and allowed them to eat with her chicks, allowed them to get under her etc. But they needed additional heat they were not getting. 4 days difference in ages was too much.

7. edible_chicken

May 15, 2011
    Ohio
    that probably is a good idea, i will do that! we are in the process of moving to SC in may, so it is so hard not to buy more than 2! hehe

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by