BO hen is not walking PLEASE HELP!

Dapplepony

Songster
9 Years
Jul 19, 2010
My little BO is a problem child. First she gets herself stuck in between to bales of hay for 18 days, now she can't walk!

I think something like this happened:

Zoe found a place out of the over 40 mph wind yesterday. She laid down to take a nap. At dusk, mom sis and I were trying to find her. I found her under one of our coops. I got the lounge whip and poked her a few times because she was not waking up. Finally she hobbles out and collapses. When she stands, she is wobbly and falls over. She can't stand without leaning on something. I went out to let the chickens out and take care of the horses this morning and saw Zoe leaning on the coop wall. When she sees all the other hens running out, she takes three wobbly steps, and falls over.

Right now, She is in a nesting box in the coop covered with a towel so the other hens won't beat her up. I don't want to put her down. I don't know if maybe she is just too cold. (It's 42 degrees here right now) She is eating, but not drinking.

Please help!

EDIT: the only thing out of the normal with her is that she has a bump near her tail that is about a half inch above her back and it has something protruding from it.

Last edited:
can you post a picture of the bump? I wouldn't think she would be having problems with the temp, it's been below 30 here and my girls are all fine. Sounds more like and injury or infection...

Can't post pics, sorry. She does not have any outward signs of injury. Nothing is wrong with her, she just can't walk!

I would set up a hospital box for her (I use an old dog crate), and bring it inside or someplace that is nice and warm where you can keep an eye on her.
When I have a sick girl and I don't know what exactly is wrong, often just isolating and spoiling her a little can be helpful in nursing her back to health. Warmth, some plain yogurt, lots of clean fresh water, and maybe a little Poly-vi-sol as well.
Good luck, and I'm sorry she isn't feeling well.

Quote:
Chickbea, thanks so much. I really hope she pulls through. I'm not giving up on her just yet because she waited 18 days for us to find her.

Last edited:
I agree with chickbea, keeping her in where it's warm and you can keep an eye on her is a good idea and watch for any changes to the bump...just a guess but maybe she got bumped there and it is swollen and that is the cause of her difficulty walking...

keep us updated and good luck!

Mom is gonna let me bring her inside!
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom