BO hen with troubled breathing, green poop, and perhaps paralized leg

Granolamom

Songster
11 Years
Sep 9, 2008
Dallas
Sarah is a slightly overweight 2-year old BO hen. We separated her from the rest of the (free-ranging) flock 9 days ago, because she was sneezing and did not seem her usual bossy self (she's one of the top hens in a flock of 20).
We treated with Vet RX for the respiratory symptoms, and Tylan 50. We've offered her every one of her favorite treats (yogurt, cornbread with raw goat milk, apple sauce, scrambled egg, oatmeal, etc), but she will only eat watermelon and raw egg.
There has been no improvement whatsoever of her respiratory symptoms, her breathing is heavy and when we pick her up, she is wheezing. Her poop is green and white. Today I tried to let her out of the cage for a while to get some sunshine outside, and noticed that she was limping. There is no sign of injury, but she seems to have no feeling in her right leg whatsoever. Also, her right eye closes when she gets tired, while the other one stays open.
I'm at the end of my wits, and grateful for any suggestions.
Thanks, chicken peeps!

C'mon, ya'll! Anyone? This is my only-ever broody, and she's a great mom. I'd hate to lose her, and it looks like we might...

I Just Posted A Question Very Similar To Yours Which I Did Not See My Hen Also Has Greenish White Poop But Also What Appeared To Be Egg Yolk In It Did Notice A Little Wheezing As Wellmy Girls Are 5 Years Old And Wondered If It Is Just Her Time She Still Talks To Me But Her Eyes Seem Like She Is In A Trance Carried Her In And Put Her In Nesting Box Will See Whayt Morning Brings Hope Someone Can Help !!!

How long did you treat with the tylan 50? At what dose? How did you give it? If you listen to her lungs is she wheezing? Any bubbles in eyes, watery nose? Anything lumpy in her mouth? poo is green and white because she is not eating much...... try to get something down her... canned dog food, mushy cat food, scrambled eggs etc... Put vitamins in her water and try to get her drinking it. When did she last lay?

Quote:
We treated her with Tylan 50 for 5 days, and we used it orally, once a day. No bubbles in eyes or nose, but definite wheezing in lungs. No lumps in her mouth, as far as I can see. I'm not sure of the last time she layed, but definitely not within the past 10 days. My husband says he felt a small, hard lump further down her throat, but I have not been able to confirm that.

Last edited:
I would try giving her the Tylan 50 injected just under the skin where the neck and shoulders meet. 1/2 cc 2x a day for 3 days... see if anything improves. If you can get a vet to give you some Baytril, that is one of the best meds for respiratory illness. Also good for any other infections. How hot is it over there, I wonder if she could be suffering from the heat or having heart trouble also... any paleness or discolored comb or face? Trouble breathing also makes them lose O2 in the blood, feeling weak, hummm

Back
Top Bottom