BO-Not Egg Bound- Red Hot Swollen under butt/vent

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bragabit, Sep 16, 2010.

1. bragabit

bragabit Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Southern Utah
    1) What type of bird , age and weight. Buff Orpington Hen 18 months
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. Not eating, doesnt' walk around much, ruffled feathers, holding head in (see pictures)
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Several Days
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. I noticed yesterday while making cookies that one of the BO eggs had a lot of blood in it. The egg had been in the fridge for 2-3 days. It wasn't growth or fertilization either.
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. No and didn't eat treats either.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Runny clear with what looked like meat spots.
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Dusting with Sevin
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I am worried about egg bound as a physical exam showed a puffy area under her vent. Also her ankles look a tad swollen.
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. Two pictures
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use Roost in a coop at night, Shavings in nest boxes, and free range in grass pasture surrounded by shade trees (a little less than 1/4 of an acre)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  2. DaniLovesChickens

DaniLovesChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Michigan
    What does the puffy area under her vent look like? Please try to describe carefully.

Usually if they are egg bound you can see the egg. You could try putting on rubber gloves, lubricating your finger and inserting it into her vent. Sounds gross, I know. Took me awhile before I could bring myself to do it. If she's eggbound you should be able to feel it.

Hopefully someone else might have some ideas about what the "puffy area" under her vent might be.

Good luck! [​IMG] I love my BOs

3. bragabit

Mar 26, 2009
    Southern Utah
    The puffy area is well below her vent. It felt squishy. No hard masses. I kind of looked around the inside her vent and it seemed kind of red. No sign or lumps that I could feel that would feel like an egg. We were sitting in the shade for her exam and all the other chickens had normal pupils. This chicken had small pupils, not that its a symptom but different than the other hens.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Gosh what would make her ankles swell? My hens bottom is swollen up some it means shes laying

5. DaniLovesChickens

Jul 18, 2010
    Michigan
    I have noticed that a chickens pupils will do weird things when they are in pain. I really don't know what to say about a squishy lump!?[​IMG]

Does it feel like she has a fever? Feel the head/comb and legs of another hen then feel her. I would be concerned that maybe an egg broke inside? I'm really not sure.

Did you try the search engine on here? If nobody else has anything to add then I would give that a try!

6. bragabit

Mar 26, 2009
    Southern Utah
    Quote:Deep Red comb and it is very warm to the touch. The other hens combs were cool to touch. The vent area is red and hot to the touch. The two bones that are by the vent seem to be protruding more than normal and are hot to the touch. Still no sign of an egg, but more poop. Clear runny, with green stuff and meat colored pieces..

7. DaniLovesChickens

Jul 18, 2010
    Michigan
    I would be afraid that maybe an egg broke inside her. I really don't know. I would maybe change the subject of your post to egg-bound or something. See if someone else can offer more assistance.

I really hope someone can help you!

8. bragabit

Mar 26, 2009
    Southern Utah
    I checked her with a gloved hand and KY jelly. Her vent was clear, as was both paths (top and bottom) She is so hot to the touch and hardly walks much at all. We can cull to put her out of her misery. I would treat her but have no idea what to treat? I found a couple more live lice today (after dusting with Sevin yesterday) So I dusted her vent area again today. I can seperate her into a large crate, but the other hens are not bothering her. It doesn't seem contagious. What can I do for her?

9. DaniLovesChickens

Jul 18, 2010
    Michigan
    The only thing I could say would be to try and give her antibiotics? It definitely sounds like she has some sort of infection! I was really hoping that maybe someone else would be able to help you!

Have you searched "lice" on here to see if they be causing her to be this sick? I fortunately have not had to deal with lice, only mites. How is that lump below her vent? There is a posting on here titled "bulge between legs and vent". I don't know if that is what's going on with your hen or not. You would probably be the better judge of that. If so, you might be able to PM one of the people on there.

I'm sorry if you have to cull her:hit If there's nothing else you can do for her though...

Best of luck!!![​IMG]

10. bragabit

Mar 26, 2009
    Southern Utah
    Would human antibiotics be effective? How many mgs for a chicken?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by