***BO OWNERS*** Do BO hens really go broody easily? Good egg layers?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenlickin8, Jan 30, 2011.

1. chickenlickin8

chickenlickin8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    I am thinking about ordering new chicks and would like to include a BO pullet however I am nervous about what I have read about BO's go broody easily. Is this true? Are they good layers? Bo are so beautiful! I mainly want production breeds! Thanks!

2. magoochie

magoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2010
    Grantsburg, WI
    I am wondering this myself. I have my first BOs on order and will be here next week.

3. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    I have three BO hens and a rooster and only had one go broody. She didn't have any eggs but we let her raise a chick that kept getting out of its cage. They are great layers and mine are not hatchery buffs.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I've had a total of 4 hatchery Buff Orpingtons and none of them went broody...they were average layers of nice sized eggs.

5. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    I have 6 BO's and haven't had any go broody yet, but they aren't even a year old yet, so...we'll see. So far they seem to lay well, but not any better than my RIR's. They are very pretty, though. I have a very shady yard due to many trees all over my property and they really stand out and look pretty. I am going to get some Silver Laced Wyandottes this spring, just for the pretty factor! Of course more eggs will be very welcome! My DH sells them at work and we cant keep everyone supplied with our 11 hens.

6. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    Quote:x3. I have read a lot of posts on broody behavior from a breed standpoint and I do hear BO's are among the more frequent broody hens. I have 4 pullets coming in mid March and hope to have a non broody time of it with them, but if they do so, I'm good with that as well. I will probably have a roo or 3 as I have ordered from Ideal hatchery and expect some packing peanuts for warmth in shipment (they tend to give a few roos). I just may be raising some babies at some point! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  7. breezy

breezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Sand Coulee MT
    My buffs are about 2 years old, have never gone broody,and are average layers of large eggs. I find them to be calm, docile and nice to have around

8. Zed3

Zed3 Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2009
    Huntingtown, MD
    I have 3 BO hens and a rooster. They are 9/10 months old and one hen when broody at Thanksgiving so I gave her 10 black sexlink eggs. Seven hatched and she has been a very attentive mother. They are 4 weeks old and doing fine. As for their eggs I am not satisfied. They are on the small size with a very tuff shell and membrane. But I have been spoiled by my Golden Comets extra large eggs.

Just my opinion.
    Zed

9. spartacus_63

spartacus_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Central Iowa
    I have four BOs and one is my primary Bio-Bator. She has given me two other broodies that are BO/RIR cross.

10. chickenlickin8

chickenlickin8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    Thanks for all the responses! Keep them coming! The feedback is awesome. I always order hens only, no rooster. So maybe that will further help a BO not become broody. In past years I have only had one hen become broody (an Australorp) and she sat on nothing for 4 weeks and then I ordered fertile eggs for her on EBAY and she stopped sitting so I had to get a bator to hatch the eggs and they were cute but......UGH! You can imagine why I don't want a broody breed again...ha ha ha! I just love fresh eggs [​IMG] I ordered 10 pullet chicks coming in March from Ideal and a BO would be a beautiful splash of color in the mix [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by