BO Pullet charges towards me and will kick or peck me.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mybelle5, Jan 26, 2009.

1. mybelle5

mybelle5 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2008
    Memphis TN
    Last Thursday I noticed one of my BO pullets (approx. 4month old) pecked me as I pulled out the feed jar to refill. (I've only had these girls for about 1 month) I was thinking okay no biggie.. Then Friday I noticed this same pullet acting strangely towards me as I approached the coop. She would stand right in front of the door standing strong in that I’m gonna get you stance. [​IMG] Watching my feet then pecked my shoe. I'd push her away from my feet and she would be right back but more determined. Then I made the big mistake of putting the back of my hand towards her to scoot her away, her neck feathers flared and I get kicked-clawed. [​IMG] Little brat.. This really erked me. I picked her up and held her for a while.. She didn’t like it one bit.. Matter fact she was down right mad.. Is this normal? She doesn't look anything like a rooster for her age. She is very nice to the other pullets. Is she normal? Are some hens/pullets more aggressive then the others?

[​IMG]

This pic is about 2 weeks old.. When I get home from work I will add the most recent.. She is the one walking up the ramp[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  2. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Could you post pics? It sounds like a rooster to me, although i've never had a mean Orpington.

3. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I have heard that if there is no rooster present one of the hens steps up to the plate. Could also be a rooster too a pic would definately help [​IMG]

4. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    That is funny!! Chickens are so entertaining!

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    She is the alpha hen. You are invading her territory. Keep toting her around and showing her you are alpha hen instead. Also if she pecks you hold her beak closed for a few seconds. She won't like that.

6. marytoast

marytoast Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Carthage, NC
    I have a hen like that! We call her the queen of the coop! I hold her sometimes. then she sits and sulks. Chickens are so entertaining. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by