BO pullet--loner??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dixiedoodle, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I have 12 pullets/young hens, some are laying, some are not.. My roo shows about 6 of them 'attention'. He seems to be quick and they don't fight it much, more of a 'oh,no' then the squat... Only one shows any sign of him being too rough--she has feathers missing on the back of her head. She is Big Deloris--my largest ( most bossy) Buff Orpington.. She has started staying to herself when they are out. She will scratch in her own little area, she doesn't seem to mind being along.. just really busy.. She looks healthy (no pests), eats and drinks well, and she started laying today... All the other girls are in little groups.. The EEers stay together, the Ameraucanas stay together and the BO, RIR, and BRs group up, changing the numbers and members at will!!! Big Deloris is always the last one to come in, even when Barney (the Roo) goes in and out again.... She will wait until the last minute to come in to roost...

Should I be concerned about her behavior? Is this normal? Why does she not care for the other girls??

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Is she purposely avoiding the roo?
    Lilith is my loner, always has been. She spends some time with my handicapped hen, but most of the time prefers to be by herself. I just chalk it up to individual personality.

3. Dixiedoodle

Apr 14, 2007
    I don't know if she is avoid the roo...She does protest (very loud) when he 'visits' her but when he just wonders over she doesn't seem too get upset.. It bothers me that she has plucked head feathers but what can I do??

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Not much you can do about the plucked head feathers, except keep your fingers crossed that your roo gets a little more practiced and mates them without taking off head feathers in the process.
    As a general rule, I let my girls figure it out for themselves. If there's no blood being drawn and she's happy and healthy otherwise, it's part of a hens life to be under the roo and they adjust.

5. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Not everyone can be first - or even in the middle. Someone has to be last to go in at night etc. I try bonding with the singletons more than the rest. They seem to enjoy it and it gives them a little self confidence. But so long as no one is being really harassed or exclusively picked on, I wouldn't worry too much. If she doesn't mind it, why should you? It is just the order of things.

6. Dixiedoodle

Apr 14, 2007
    Thanks everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by