1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

BO/RIR cross

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by c.wilson, Dec 12, 2008.

1. c.wilson

c.wilson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2008
    hello everyone..i just crossed a BO rooster with a RIR hen and i have an egg from her and i was wondering what the chick would turn out to look like...

thanks..

P.S. im thinking bout puttin the egg in my bator but im not sure im gonna until i see what they will look like....

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Look for photos of Speckledhen's Meg!

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Meggie has a RIR dad and Buff Orp mama, but either way, you could end up with one like her. The Buff Orps she came from were exhibition size, not hatchery stock. The RIR rooster was a really nice dark one, too. Meg leans much more to the Orpington side, with white legs and a hefty frame.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  4. c.wilson

c.wilson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2008
    ok thankx

5. jazzy6110

jazzy6110 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2011
    would she fall into the category of red sex link?

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

No, she would not. She did not have a barred mother so could not have been sexed at hatch.

Her sire was a RIR, her mother a Buff Orp. She's a cross, but not sex linked.

Wow, this thread is going on 4 years old now and Meg is still with me. She is 5 1/2 and still laying.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by