BO roo? *new pics

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JulieNKC, Sep 30, 2010.

1. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    I bought 5 supposed to be pullet bo's. My fave lil one is starting to look boyish to me. He is feathering slower than his sis's, and seems more outgoing. Opinions anyone? He had a fluffy but until a few days ago, is now starting to get a tail but the others have had tail feathers from day one except my lil girl who's tail i think got picked lol. His comb isn't pinker or bigger from what I can tell but...Hoping if he is a roo he's a nice quiet one since I live in city limits.
    [​IMG]
    he is on the right above
    and in front here
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  2. triggfamily5

triggfamily5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Moorcroft, WY
    I would love to help, but I did the same thing with my 2 BO's this spring. I had one that was more petite and feathered out quick, and I had one that was slow to feather and was broader. I swore I had one female and one male. The slower one even had a red comb by 4 weeks already...

Needless to say, I have 2 roos :-( The one I thought was female just took a little longer to show the traits.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Orps can fool you. I had a couple that kept me guessing until they were 8 weeks old.

Yours are too young to tell though. Give it a few more weeks, and post more pics.

4. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    hold her by her neck ( still letting her breathe and not causing any pain) if her legs dangle or only move a little its a girl if it kicks and they wont stay straight it is a boy.
    this trick really works i use it to sex day old chicks to full grown chickens if i cant tell

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Never ever heard of this "trick."

Really, those guys are too young to tell. . . And as said before, Orpingtons can play tricks on ya. [​IMG]

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Far too early to tell. Relax and enjoy them. You'll know soon enough.

7. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    He still looks different. His/her comb is slightly pinker than the others, and a bit more prominent. He still acts like a roo, running up as soon as I come in and peeping very loud if I dare take one of his girls away lol. His feathers still look different. Where the wing joins his body there are some very long feathers compared to the others.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Is he just having a bad hair day? Still to early? I need to learn some patience...but I want to know!!!lol

8. Andora

Andora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Watch for waddles by 4 weeks! The BO roosters I've had get quickly reddening little wattles, and the pullets do not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by