BO strained to poop out 10 inch long strand *PHOTO*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JulieZ, Aug 10, 2010.

1. JulieZ

JulieZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Trenton, Florida
    My BO girl "Hockey" (6 months, still not laying) began to puff up her feathers. (She has a respiratory infection & is on medication. Also gave her some vitamins today.) She turned her butt in my direction & I hollered "What is that coming from her?" My husband thought a tap worm. This huge, long poop was coming out of her in a strand but not easily. it took her about 10 minutes to pass it. When I got closer to her, it was foul smelling (beyond normal poop smell) & that was with me on the outside of the coop. The other chickens wanted to peck at it but backed off quickly. After she passed it, I checked her crop & vent. Both okay.
    The photograph ... the left side is what started coming out with white. Then the middle part which is hard & almost leathery was not easy for her & the last bit was some grass/hay. The photo doesn't show it well but this strand is at least 10 inches long. There's no blood but with her steadily sneezing, she's not eating or drinking very well. Could this play a part if this is constipation? I hand fed her water with the antibiotics & then vitamins. She did eat some oats today & I gave her a small amount of cat food yesterday for protein. Any thoughts?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/48421_cas_0894.jpg

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Is it round or flat? If it's round, I'm thinking she could've been constipated. The whites appear to be urates. More good news if it's round....it's not a tapeworm. If it looked like a cooked flat piece of macaroni or rice, it would definitely be one of two types of tapeworm and it certainly doesnt look like it. I'm just wondering if you noticed prior to this episode if she had taken a poop earlier and what did it look like? If you didnt, no matter. I hope she gets better.

3. JulieZ

JulieZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Trenton, Florida
    Quote:It is round. Not sure when the last time she pooped but you can bet I'll be watching today. Might go ahead & give her something for it. Poor little baby girl. Everything seems to be hitting her at once. Thank you ... I'm happy to hear I'm not the only one that thinks constipation.

4. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

YOGURT ! [​IMG]

... seriously... poor baby... [​IMG]

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    SpeckledHen had that coming out of Suede but not sure if it is the same diameter or stuff like that.

either the hen ate the snake whole or a fluke worm.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Ewesheep. In the case of Suede, it was determined that either gizzard worms had sloughed off gizzard lining or cecal lining was sloughed off because of cecal worms and valbazen was recommended for worming. It wasnt something the roo ate nor a fluke/tapeworm. JulieZ will be observing stool today and will let us know if she observes anything out of the ordinary and then we can flood her with ideas and treatments if needed lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by