BO with a split beak

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by estradaamyl, Sep 3, 2014.

1. estradaamyl

estradaamyl New Egg

Mar 19, 2014
    One of our girls has been avoiding everyone and I finally grabbed her today for my daughter. She has a split beak. Poor girl. What can I do for her? [​IMG]

2. chikkenfriend

chikkenfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2013
    Texas
    My Coop
    One of our Red Stars got hit by a car (and yes, I ripped my neighbor to shreds. She drives very slowly through here now). Her beak was broken really bad. We kept her inside for a few days. She wouldn't eat regular feed so we made some mash. Yogurt and feed mix and we hand fed her.

Their beaks grow back. Like fingernails.

She's out with everybody again and she's laying like nothing ever happened. Except that she's gone all snugly with us! She was friendly before, now she's our biggest baby.

I hope yours will be ok. Is she eating? If so, let her. If not, try the mash.

Best of luck to ya.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  3. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    im not much help . lol i remember reading about using a few things and i think super glue was one of them but i wouldnt use it unless someone else can say for sure.

4. TurkenLover17

TurkenLover17 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2013
    Does it seem to discomfort her? And, is the split continuing to open? If neither of those are so, than I wouldn't worry about it.

5. estradaamyl

estradaamyl New Egg

Mar 19, 2014
    I filed the sharp edge down a little just so it wouldn't catch on anything. She seems to be eating just fine. Thanks everyone!

1 person likes this.
  6. chikkenfriend

Dec 2, 2013
    Texas
    My Coop
    Ooh! You are a brave soul. But I think that's a good idea. And I'm really glad she's eating. That's a great sign! Best wishes

7. TurkenLover17

TurkenLover17 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2013
    Great idea! I'm glad she is doing well.

8. GA Homesteader

GA Homesteader Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2014
    Senoia GA
    1 person likes this.
  9. chikkenfriend

Dec 2, 2013
    Texas
    My Coop
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  10. Dad of the coop

Dad of the coop Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2014
    If it's not continuing to split up I would leave it alone. I had a bird with a split beak and every week I would clean the dirt from the crack. She ate and drank fine. Hope she is ok.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by