BO x SLW = sex-link?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Corey NC, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Corey NC

Corey NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    Is a Buff Orpington Roo and a SLW hen cross a sex-link? I ask because my chick and some one elses chick both have dots on the head and I was wondering if they could be sexed by them.

2. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    Don't have an answer but it's a very interesting thought.

3. Corey NC

Corey NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    Does anyone know?

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I could be mistaken, but I believe that they are sexlinked. One of the sexlinks uses a NHR and SLW, the Cinnamon Queen, so your gold rooster should be the same thing.

5. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    We have a Cinnamon Queen, I think. (She was sold just as Red Sex Link.) She definitely has SLW in her because her neck feathers are totally laced just like our SLW, but she's a bright orange color otherwise. It is a really pretty combo. I'd imagine that the BO-SLW cross would look similar but buff. Sounds mighty pretty!

Here's a funny thing, though. Our sex link lays like crazy, every day and big eggs and she just started a few weeks ago. Yet NHRs and SLWs aren't known for their super-prolific laying like, say, a RIR, right? So why does the offspring lay so well? I don't get it.

6. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    The male for the cross has to be red. I do not think the buff gene is the same as the red one. So my guess is that it will not be sex linked.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Actually, isn't it a gold gene, not actually red? I may be wrong here. Tim A. , could you chime in here? I would like to get it straight in my own mind for future reference.

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:That would be a nature of a sexlink. I bet hatcheries though have special parent strains to produce the egg layers though. Similar to the cornish x with their weight gain, nither parents are like that, but their kids are meat maches. The parents are chosen especially for this off spring trait though. Doesn't hut to try but chances are you won't get the same laying machine as the hatchery strains have produced.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by