BO X White Rock = Strawberry Blonde ?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by happydog, May 27, 2010.

1. happydog

happydog Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2009
    Western NC
    I saw the prettiest chickens at a farm I visited. They were a soft strawberry blonde color, like a pale pinky buff. I asked the farmer what they were and he said they were Buff Orpingtons crossed with White Rocks. I didn't think to ask which was the rooster and which the hen.

I just ordered BO females and white Plymouth Rock roosters to try to make my own strawberry blonde chickens. Will that work or should I have gotten BO roosters and Rock hens?

Thanks!

2. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    I am sorry I don't know this answer but they sound like they are beautiful chickens. From my experience so far from my hatchings. My Delaware rooster Jack and a EE hen produced a yellow chick with yellow legs. Daisy is still yellowish in color and still has yellow legs. She doesn't have the tufts or the beard look to her. Although she is a gorgeous chick. And she really has the look of the Delaware but a light yellow with the black feather tips and black around her neck instead of the white with the black in the same areas. I also have a Silver Spangled Hamburg hen /Delaware rooster and the April is still black and white like the Hamburg was but it is a different pattern so to speak. Pretty unique chicks and quite pretty also.

3. tammyd57

tammyd57 Chillin' With My Peeps

A few years ago I had 6 hens that were BO/WR crosses. I bought them from a man who had been breeding them for years and years. They were that pretty strawberry blonde color too. He told me he used the darkest gold BO roo over his biggest WR hens to get these big pretty hens. I loved those birds! They laid very well and their eggs were huge! Very nice friendly girls too. [​IMG]

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    A Buff Orpington Rooster over a White Rock Hen would be a Buff Sex-link..
    All the Cockerels will be white in color with maybe some buff color leaking through in the wing bow, saddle and hackles and Pullets will be Buff color maybe with some white in the tale and neck...

Chris

5. HenThymes

HenThymes pippin ain't easy

Feb 27, 2010
    Foothills of NC
    I don't know what you get when you use a WR rooster but I can tell you what you get when you cross a white orp rooster over a buff orp hen... The white dominated, the resulting chick (a pullet) is almost pure white with a very tiny fleck of a brown or grayish color in her and I mean tiny bit. It's not peppering, it is just some dotting here and there. Obviously at least in orps white is dominate from my experience. He also bred over blue and those resulting chicks are a grayish blue and white mix.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by