Board and Batten Coop Update - It's starting to look like a coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ChickaChickaWow, Apr 3, 2012.

1. ChickaChickaWow

ChickaChickaWow Out Of The Brooder

Feb 29, 2012
    My Coop
    This has taken alot longer than I thought it would to build this coop, but it's almost done. The first six chicks we got are about 3 weeks old and are looking pretty big, they'll probably be ready to go out in the next few weeks. The second half dozen chicks we got are only about a week old so they still have some more time under the french fry lamp before we put them out in the coop.

I busted some butt this last weekend to get as much as I could done because I'm probably not going to get much done this weekend with Easter and visiting families.

The board siding is up, but I still have to build the nesting boxes, put up trim and put up the battens. I bought a 4' ridge vent to install, but I'm questioning whether I'm going to need it or not with the two windows and the two gable vents. I'd rather not cut a huge slot into my nice water-tight roof... LOL

These pictures don't show the shingles because by time I finished up with the roof, it was too dark to take a decent picture.

I have a funny feeling that building the coop is only the start, I'm sure the wife will have some more things that she needs before I can consider this project done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Hazelrah

Hazelrah Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2012
    Oregon
    I think your coop looks wonderful and yes there will probably be more honey-do requests. I don't think the chicken project ever gets completely done- just ask my dear husband. He build me a coop a few years ago. Since then he's enlarged the coop, tripled the size of the enclosed run, then a cross fence for the yard so they can free range and finally a second coop so I have a place to put little chicks until they grow big enough to run with the big hens. Oh and a little cat-proof brooder for the newly hatched chicks LOL.

3. tyjaco

tyjaco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Cloverdale, CA
    nice coop!

4. Joe.G

Joe.G Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    Nice Job I built a Board and Batton coop also.

[​IMG]

5. JiJis hens

JiJis hens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2012
    Looks wonderful.

6. ChickaChickaWow

ChickaChickaWow Out Of The Brooder

Feb 29, 2012
    My Coop
    Thanks everyone [​IMG]

I orginally made this profile so that the wife could post on here, but it seems like I'm doing all the posting figuring out how to build the coop for her. [​IMG]

I have everything complete except for the battens and not a minute too soon because the chicks are probably gonna be big enough to go outside in about 2 weeks.

Joe G... Your coop turned out pretty sweet. [​IMG]

Here are a few pictures I took while building the nesting boxes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by