Boarding school...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Chickengal505, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    I'm really considering going to a boarding school for my 8th grade year... Do any of you go to a boarding school/have children that go to a non-military boarding school for boys and girls? I'm seaching to web and all I can find is a nice one in virgina... thats not that far..... tuition is a tad high but reasonble.... hmmmmm

2. areyoumymother

areyoumymother Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Won't your chickens miss you while away at school ? I know I would miss them [​IMG]

3. Chickengal505

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    I know I would miss them so much.... But I really want to go..... I'll come home over the summer.... [​IMG]

4. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    I went to a church run boarding school.

I have to say I had a blast and it was an interesting education!

5. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    My parents threw around the idea of sending me to an academy (basically a boarding school) for highschool, but decided against it for several reasons. One: It was expensive. If you have to take out any loans at all to go, you are better off saving your money for college. Chances are you will need some sort of a loan for those four years. I had a full scholarship, but still had to take out some money for living expenses. Secondly: I would have had to live there. Paying for room and board can cost and arm and a leg, and that's on top of tuition. Thirdly: My public highschool offered a fine education. If you work hard, you will be able to do just fine in public school. Additionally, highschool is really when you have to concentrate on your studies because you will be preparing for college. Of course you don't want to slack off in 8th grade either. Paying huge amounts for schooling just doesn't make sense to me unless your public school is terrible.

I learned so much from reading and studying on my own during grade school on top of what the teachers taught me. I was lucky and didn't have too many issues with the public school system. I had a couple of dud teachers, but for me paying for school before college would have been a waste. Don't get me wrong though...if your parents can afford boarding school without breaking the wallet and taking out loans, go for it.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  6. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    The school I went to required everyone had a job, rich or poor. Fresh/Jr worked mornings and school from 1-5 and Soph/Sr school 8-12 and 1-5 was work. You earned different amounts depending on the type of job you did. I had a partial scholarship, but made enough $ to buy a cheap car when I graduated.

And yes work ethic is an important life lesson and one public HS does not teach.

7. Chickengal505

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    Well half the reason I want to go is I need some time to breathe. As in away from the stress of my family. And the boarding school I want to attend offers classes for 8th graders that I wouldn't have untill my second year in high school.

8. willkatdawson

willkatdawson Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    I went to boarding school and loved it! If you don't like it you can always come back home, so why not give it a try. You'd hate to say someday " I wanted to go away, but I didn't do it." Funny thing is, now I live on family land surrounded by family. I had dyslexia and the school I went specialized in a program that really helped. Although I thinking maybe I should have stayed longer, because I just had to google the correct spelling of Dyslexia.

9. Chickengal505

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    Quote:[​IMG] I'd have to say, the last part of your post made me laugh. I don't think most people here would miss me much. And my father went to a boarding school for most of his high school years.... It's something I've always wanted to do....

10. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

Dont you have to go to bed on their scedule?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by