Boat glass and shower rods!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by oolyboolu, Jul 29, 2013.

1. oolyboolu

oolyboolu Chirping

Jul 16, 2013
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Hello all! New chickener here (/wave! ), I'm building (read: gathering materials to build ) for my first coop and I wanted to run a few items by ya'lls to see if I'm good. First off I'm trying to recycle, re-use, up cycle as much as I can hence the mish mash of materials in question. I swear this is the hippiest thing I've ever done lol.

First off, my brother has given me some scrap window frames (no glass), and I was wondering if boat glass would be an ok option to use?? I have plenty from work its that clear polyvinyl you see on boat tops, about 1/16th" thick. I plan to cover it and the window opening with chicken wire for extra strength and protection.

Next I have 2 adjustable shower rods. I've read here that they can be too slippery and get too cold in the winter, so I had the idea of covering them with those pool noodle foams and then wrapped in hockey tape to avoid getting the foam picked apart. Any thoughts?

Those are my 2 questionable items, but so far I have:

Pallets (unlimited!)
    Shingles (found half buried in the yard at my new house!)
    PVC pipes
    Wood shavings (unlimited)
    Shower rods
    Window frames
    Boat glass
    1 cat litter bucket

Tx for reading this!

Nieves

2. jetdog

jetdog Songster

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    The glass would probably be fine as long as it is covered with hardware cloth, I would not use a noodle they will peck the hell out of it no matter what you put on it, just use a 2x4 on its side not to expensive.

3. oolyboolu

oolyboolu Chirping

Jul 16, 2013
    Vancouver Island, Canada

Hey :) tx for answering! I'm glad the boat glass is workable, tho I really wanted to find a use for those shower rods! Think the rods with just tape for extra grip would work? or should i just scrap the idea altogether? ;) 2x5s are easy enough as well :)

Nieves

4. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop
    Scrap the shower rods. Not a good idea.

5. chynasparks

chynasparks Songster

Jun 21, 2013
    Texas
    I am a newbie too since June. I've learned that anything, ANYthing goes in their mouths. If they aren't puting anything int their mouths, they are pecking at it. I've learned to look at everything from their level. They will peck/eat splinters on would, paper, shiney things. Butttons on my blouse. Of it can come loose it will go in their mouth. I know they would peck pieces of of those swimming tubes. If the tape over the curtain rod gets wet from their on poo, it can come loose and become interesting to their curiosity. I'd go with wood roost. Good luck :)

6. oolyboolu

oolyboolu Chirping

Jul 16, 2013
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Ha! Ok shower rods are out :)

7. chynasparks

chynasparks Songster

Jun 21, 2013
    Texas
    Some times things in their mouths can be funny. Just today I watched my 4 peeps run around chasing each other over a piece of broccoli. One had it, the others chased her, than one stole from her, then they all chased. This wen on till the first one got it back again and ate it. Lol. It was hilarious. But a few weeks ago I had a plastic feeder fall apart in the pen. It had hardware in side it. One found the nice shiney washer that fell off. Everybody wanted, chased her. I was afraid she would swallow it. I played heck getting it away from her. Won't ever buy that kind ever again. That's when I started looking real close at stuff. They are so funny. I can't free range them so they probably do a lot if that out if bordem. Free ranging I think they instinktively no what to put in their mouths. I hang veggies like a pinyatta for them. They seem to like that.

8. oolyboolu

oolyboolu Chirping

Jul 16, 2013
    Vancouver Island, Canada

Omg a veggie piñata!!! LOVE it!

9. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Crowing

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    It sounds like you have a lot of great stuff there!

For your windows, I would cover the window openings with 1/2" hardware cloth, to keep out predators. I use washers and wood screws to attach it, so it can't be pulled or pushed out. Chicken wire is too weak to keep out most predators. Also, the openings are large enough to let in rats, small weasels and raccoons can reach through to dismember chickens. Cover your vents, also.

The frames can be covered with the boat glass. If you use hinges and latches, they can be open in the warm weather for extra ventilation or closed in the worst of winter or for really bad storms. You still need ventilation in the winter, but not always as much as in the really hot weather.

I would go with a simple 2x4, flat side up, for the roost.

10. chynasparks

chynasparks Songster

Jun 21, 2013
    Texas
    Well it seems I couldn't spell piñata. Spellcheck just now did it for me haha. Not only can I not speak Spanish I can't spell it. No disrespect to my Hispanic friends. Anyway they live pecking at the veggie piñata. I got a small spool of very thin weed eater line to tie it up and hang it with. I was afraid they might inadvertently break string and eat that sa well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: