Bob White Quail chicks LOUD!NOW with PICS and VIDS!!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by denasfarm, Aug 27, 2008.

1. denasfarm

denasfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Sweet Home Alabama!!
    This is my first time to hatch quail chicks. They(14) are not quiet 24 hours old but they are LOUD! At first I figured they are cold, fussing like a chicken chick, but that doesnt seem to be it. They are all eating and drinking so not that.
    Lonely? I gave them a beanie baby after trying a teenie runt silkie chick that ended up being a giant to them. They love their beanie mommie.

DO they SING at this age? One calls, one answers, they swap around and keep on and on and on and on....and the more they practice the louder they are getting!
    It sounds like a forest in my Den. I just need a water fall and some plants hanging down for the full experience.
    I played audio of an adult Bob white males call and thats the first time all day they have been quiet! Are these males?

What else do I need to know before these little bumble bee sized singers shock me!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  2. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    lol i have coturnix here and let me tell you they are LOUD as well! LOL!

Right now they're all happily just quietly peep peep peeping,but once it gets around 8 pm they start "IT"...
    peep,.......Peep......PEep....PEEEEP! PEEEP PEEEP PEEEP PEEEP PEEEP!!!!

Some of them even sound like crickets and once they all get going my room sounds like im raising crickets NOT quail...
    lol

nah i highly doubt they're all males...but if that's what ya want...thenn i hope so for ya! LMAO tho something tlels me im sure you dont want just males lol

3. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Some of ours just won't stop peeping. We just feed the loud ones to the
    dogs. [​IMG]

4. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:lol if joke, and if not a joke, i prob would too [​IMG] LMAO!

5. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Quote:[​IMG]

6. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    This is most of my Pharoah Coturnix chicks...the one that starts peeping (sounding like a cricket) is LoudMouth....he gets the whole crew going now-a-days lol...(and yep i can regconize him from the rest by two ways...1 he's the only one that has weird yellow eye brows, and also his leg band #).

THey were like a day or two old here...now they're almost 2 weeks old:

[​IMG]

7. denasfarm

Jun 15, 2008
    Sweet Home Alabama!!
    Quote:Oh I couldnt do that...yet
    I need all of mine. They are my firsts!

8. denasfarm

Jun 15, 2008
    Sweet Home Alabama!!
    Quote:Mine sound different than that. More like PEEEP PEEP PEEP PEEP...PEEEP PEEP PEEP PEEP...like a song.

I will video mine when my daughter gets back with the camera. She had to show them off at youth group.

9. denasfarm

Jun 15, 2008
    Sweet Home Alabama!!
    I HAVE ANOTHER QUESTION!!

So 14 hatched yesterday evening. I still have 4 in the Bator with one just now pipping. How long do I give them? They werent due to hatch until Thursday anyway!

Do I wait until Friday? Should I candle again? I really didnt want to open the bator and lose the humidity.

10. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:i say wait until friday then peek in [​IMG]

I'm the same way these are my firsts too! LOL!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by