Bob white quails poop stuck to its but.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by quails-101, Aug 22, 2016.

1. quails-101

quails-101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2016
    I got some adult bobwhite quail yesterday and I noticed that it was shaped funny and when I picked it up its bum was caked in poo what should I do?[​IMG][​IMG]

2. quails-101

Apr 16, 2016
    It also feels a little cold.

3. eHuman

eHuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2016
    Search the site for "pasty butt" asap.

4. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Aww poor thing, yes it must not be getting enough heat retention with its feathers all messed up like that - I've never had a pasty butt that bad but I have used warm water with cotton pads and qtips to soak and wipe off stuck poo to the butt.

With this one, I would get a heat lamp ready and sit it in some warm water to soak the poop feathers (a few inches and pour it on the higher feathers if needed but try to keep it as dry as possible for the good feathers) in a warm room no drafts, get off as much as you gently can in a few minutes then leave it in a separate cage with the heat lamp to totally dry then repeat as necessary

5. quails-101

Apr 16, 2016
    I just think its weird because I have never seen adults with pasty butt they usually fix it. maybe it was sitting on a nest because I had a coturnix quail that had that problem after she was done sitting.

6. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Yes it does seem weird, your idea makes sense though - surprised the seller gave you the bird in that condition :/

I don't believe I will ever buy live quail again - the one time I did from a "wonderful" place - they were all infested with bird lice. Luckily, diatomaceous earth dust baths got rid of them before my other birds got them.. The person actually had two males with two females and the females were so overmated that one poor girl had nerve damage for a while - her head would shake especially when she tried to drink [​IMG]

I culled the males and kept the girls to live out their retirement in peace, they died a few months later but were happy til then :) I really didn't know about quail then, if I did I probably still would have bought them to give them a better home lol.

Once the poo gets rock hard they can't preen it out I don't think so it becomes literally a shitty cycle I guess xD

7. quails-101

Apr 16, 2016
    I dont think he knew that there was something wrong with it because I know him well and when I tell him that there is something wrong with one he replaces it. I hope it gets better but its a good thing I have a lot of babies and their eggs in the incubator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by