Bob white quails

Discussion in 'Quail' started by moeell1, May 28, 2010.

1. moeell1

moeell1 Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2010
    Hi all, i'm new too the whole bobwhite quails and new too the whole incubator thing! So here is my question?! We are going on 2 weeks for our first set of eggs this coming Sunday 6/30, than our second set will hit 2 weeks on the 6/2 and our third set on 6/5, so my question too you all is how do I do this as we get closer to the 'due' date? Do i need another incubator?

??? again, what should the temps and humidity be? I have force air, no fans in my incubator! Anything anyone can share with me would be really appreciated! Thanks a million!

Corinna

2. mamawolf544

mamawolf544 Unbreakable Heart

Apr 29, 2009
    alvarado, Tx
    Bobwhites take 23 to 24 days to hatch, stop turning on day 20
    One of the most important things on hatching any quail eggs is once they are on lockdown do not open the incubator. So you may need to think about another bator just for hatching since they are staggered.
    Someone else will need to chime in on the air part, all mine are forced air so I dont have a clue.
    But usually when they start hatching I call it popcorn, they will all start popping out together. They look like junebugs. [​IMG]
    Have fun I love hatching quail

3. moeell1

May 17, 2010
    thanks so much I'm on the look out for another incubator....thanks again!!

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    "I have force air, no fans in my incubator!"

FORCED AIR USES FANS, STILL AIR DOES NOT.

FORCED AIR AS CLOSE TO 99.5 AS YOU CAN MAINTAIN THROUGHOUT
    STILL AIR AS CLOSE TO 100.5 AS YOU CAN MAINTAIN THROUGHOUT

DURING INCUBATION HUMIDITY 45-55%
    DURING LOCKDOWN HUMIDITY 65-75%

PERSONALLY I HIGHLY RECOMEND HATCHING IN EGG TRAYS THET HOLD THEM UPRIGHT (LG END UP) IF DOING THIS YOU CAN INCREASE YOUR HUMIDITY AS HIGH AS POSSIBLE AND YOUR HATCH WILL BE BETTER. TO USE TRIPLE H --- HIGH HUMIDITY HATCHING--- YOU MUST SET THE EGGS UPRIGHT OR YOUR CHICKS WILL PIP AND LIKELY DROWN BEFORE THEY ZIP AND HATCH. WHY TRIPLE H? IT MAKES THE EGG SHELLS SOFTER AND EASIER FOR JR TO WORK WITH DURING HIS GREAT ESCAPE IT ALSO ALLOWS A LIL EXTRA TIME FOR THE LACKADAISICAL HATCHERS TO GET THEIR LIL FUZZY BUTTS IN GEAR AND GET R DONE BEFORE THEY GET SHRING WRAPPED BY THE EGG MEMBRANES THAT ARE STEADILY DRYING AND SHRINKING IN SIZE ONCE THE EGG WALL HAS BEEN PIPPED( THIS IS AN ISSUE WITH ANY GAMEBIRD, BUT IS GREATLY MAGNIFIED IF HATCHING IN FORCED AIR INCUBATORS).

FOR THE RECORD... I INCUBATE IN FORCED AIR AND HATCH IN STILL AIR--- BY USING A DIFFERENT HATCHER IT MAKES IT EASY TO MAINTAIN THE 2 DIFFERENT HUMIDITY ENVIRONMENTS AND WHEN INCUBATING MULT HATCHES ( MANY TIMES I HAVE A HATCH A DAY GOING ON...) IT ALSO HELPS AS YOU DONT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT TURN THESE BUT NOT THOSE.... HUMIDITY TOO HIGH FOR THESE BUT TOO LOW FOR THOSE... ETC. IF YOU INCUBATE VERY MUCH AT ALL OR FREQUENTLY DO MIXED BATCHES WITH DIFFERENT HATCH DATES--- GET A CHEAP STILL AIR COOLER BATOR AND MAKE IT YOUR "NEW HATCHER" [​IMG]

5. moeell1

May 17, 2010
    Thank you so much, so how do i go about hatching in egg cartons? Please tell me more! Do the chicks get stuck in them, the carton or not? Thanks!!

6. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    It Very Easy. Take A Carton And Shove It In The Hatcher--- Shipping Flats Are Easiest. Does The Carton Fit? If So We're Off To A Good Start. Now That The Carton Is In Hand And We Know It Fits Is There Enough Room To Accomodate All Your Eggs? If So We're Almost Done..... Take The Carton To Your Incubator On Moving Day--- Place All Your Term Eggs Into It Large End Up And Take The Whole Thing Over And Gently Plop It Into Your Hatcher--- Set The Kitchen Timer For Another 3 Days A Wait....

See That Was Easy! [​IMG]

So Long As There Is No Lid On The Carton And The Cups/holes Are Small Enough To Hold Your Eggs Upright Thats All There Is To It. Carton Has A Lid You Say? Got Any Scissors? (we Can Fix That Lid Problem...) Carton Big Enough For Eggs But Wont Fit In Hatcher? Where's Them Scissors At Again?--- Cut The Carton Into Smaller Pieces As Needed To Fit. Fyi--- Plastic/ Styrofoam Cartons Do Not Interfere With Humidity In Any Way--- Paper Does. Paper Is An Easier Medium To Work With--- I Use Paper And I Simply Set It In The Hatcher/incubator A Day Or So Before Use--- This Gives It Time To Soak Up The Humidity And The Humidity To Stablize Again Before Its In An Enclosed Hatcher Full Of Eggs That Are At Their Most Humidity Sensitive Time. Dont Have The Time To Wait? Heat Up A Pot Of Water And Hold The Carton In The Steam Column It Gives Off--- This Will Add Moisture To The Paper And Help Prevent It Disturbing Your Humidity.. But Be Careful, Not Only Will It Be Quite Warm, But It Will Also Be Quite Flexible.

7. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    I Should Like To Add That This Method Works Very Very Well With Anything That Comes In An Egg! [​IMG]

Quail, Pheasant, Chicken, Waterfowl, No Matter This Method Increases Your Hatch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by