Bobcat attack - injured chicken question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FireflyTX, Apr 23, 2017.

1. FireflyTX

FireflyTX Just Hatched

Feb 8, 2017
    I have a flock of now 9 13 week old and 7 7 week old. Something started picking my chickens off one by one starting with 2 of the smaller and then 1 of the bigger. That one left a trail into the woods and I searched to see what it was and I guess I spooked the bobcat out as it left the wood and my husband saw it come out as he got home. We set traps and have been hunting it. My flock is free range and this has all been happening in the afternoon. Yesterday I saw that cat take one of my chickens and started running off and we ran out of the house and chased it guns blazing and it dropped the chicken and ran off. My question is, she is walking fine and actually made it through the night but her leg is wide open with the muscle showing. The muscle is in tact. I separated her from the flock and rinsed the horrible wound. The only thing is now is she still is not eating or drinking. She did poop so I thought that was a good sign.

Any suggestions?

I am really bummed that having my dream of a free ranging flock is not going to happen. I enjoyed watching them just play in the yard all day and I have such a beautiful coop and now I'm going to have to make an ugly run and the chickens won't be as happy as they were. Super sucks. I want to cry. It was going great for 2 months and then this.

2. coach723

coach723 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    I'm sorry for your losses.
    Cat saliva in general contains bacteria that is deadly to birds, I assume a bobcat would be the same.
    I would flush the wound as thoroughly as possible, preferably with chlorhexidine solution.
    You can apply neosporin (without painkiller) or veterycin wound and skin care spray.
    Hopefully she will survive. Antibiotics started immediately can help with a cat bite, but no guarantee.
    The bacteria multiplies rapidly and overwhelms the bird.
    If the wound is clean and there is no infection, then she does have a chance to recover.
    She is probably in shock so keep her in a warm, low light area, and mix electrolites and probiotics in her water.
    Keep the leg as clean as possible, and if any feathers are getting in the wound clip them back.
    I wish you luck, and am sorry for your troubles. Predators can be awful, and the cat will likely keep coming back as it's been successful.

3. FireflyTX

FireflyTX Just Hatched

Feb 8, 2017
    Just thought I would give an update. She made it through three night and is eating a drinking and walking just fine. The wound is huge though and praying infection stays away. She is quarantined in a cage with rags for bedding and I check other a lot to change any poo poo messes. Every morning I take her to my mudroom sink and rinse the would out really well and spray with Vetricyn.

My flock is really upset being caged up in the 5 x 15 dog kennel as the only outside they get outside the coop. The coop is a mess and the run is already disgusting. We have plans for a dog and I am going to super train it to protect the flock and us. Still haven't caught the cat but we are trying. I won't stop until it's caught.

4. coach723

coach723 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by