Bobcat attack

Sati

Hatching
Aug 29, 2016
Early this morning i heard alot of commotion at the chicken coop. I knew something was wrong and I ran out to investigate.
I chase a bobcat of and made sure to check all my chickies. The all seemed fine. I noticed some feathers but they all seemed ok.
Later i noticed my Silkie rooster acting different. I made sure to double check him over and couldn't find anything.
He seems lethargic and keeps his head droped.
What could be going on? What should i do?
Thanks

Do you think that the bobcat may have caused some internal injury? Apart from isolating him and giving him and keeping an eye on him, I don't have any other advice to offer, sorry, but i wish you luck.

He may be in shock. Keep him warm and quiet. You might check for puncture wounds which could be hard to find under a lot of feathers. Silkies are also very prone to head injuries which could cause the drooping head.

He may be in shock. Keep him warm and quiet. You might check for puncture wounds which could be hard to find under a lot of feathers. Silkies are also very prone to head injuries which could cause the drooping head.

X2

Separate him, keep him warm and definitely check him over for puncture wounds.
All the commotion, flapping and carrying on from an attack a chicken can possibly injure themselves as well.

As mentioned, he may be in shock, so keep him in a calm quiet place. Keeping him hydrated is important, but not to the point of causing more distress, leave water and encourage drinking by tapping the water bowl, etc. If you have some poultry vitamins offer those, if not you can add a small amount of sugar to his water to hopefully help him through any shock. Food is secondary, you can leave it for him, but if he doesn't eat immediately that is o.k.

Head injury is a real possibility in Silkies, so just monitor his actions, hopefully he will perk up and all will be well.

Thank you all for the help
I so love my babies and hate to see any of them in distress

Well
The little man is hanging in there.
I been giving him fluids with a dropper but he hasn't eaten.
Can i give him mash of some kind?
Can i make a mash out of the Chicken feed and force feed him?
Thanks for all the help
I'm so happy i found this page

Well
The little man is hanging in there.
I been giving him fluids with a dropper but he hasn't eaten.
Can i give him mash of some kind?
Can i make a mash out of the Chicken feed and force feed him?
Thanks for all the help
I'm so happy i found this page
You can make a mash from his feed. Just add some water to his feed to make it the consistency of oatmeal. Mine love feed this way.
Also try some scrambled or hard boiled egg. Sometimes a sick/injured chicken will eat that on it's own.

If he won't eat on his own, then you can tube feed him.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

Back
Top Bottom