Bobcat attack

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Mindini36, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Mindini36

Mindini36 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2014
    Hello,

I am new to the backyard chicken world. I have 4 chickens and live on 5 acres mostly wooded in Florida no fence. I let my girls roam free and for 7 months all was well in the world. About a week ago I heard the chickens making quite a ruckus and I ran out front to find a very large bobcat attacking one of my New Hampshire Reds! My australorp was doing her best to attack the bobcat to no avail... I ran out screaming at it and chased it in the woods with my girl in its mouth... I almost caught it but I fell.. Anyways I thought she was lost and that evening I came home to find all my Chickens in the coop. (The three had hid in the woods and wouldn't come out) so here is my question... (Lucky is her new name) has a med sized wound on her neck and is missing most of the feathers in that area... I cleaned it and sprayed her with Bactine... She wasn't eating the first 2 days but drinking water. She is now eating slowly. (It has been a week since the incident) She seemed to get around ok and seemed like she was getting better... Well yesterday she won't put any weight on her right foot.. I do not see any wounds and it doesn't appear to be broken she just won't put much weight on it and stands on one leg or sits.. The other girls seem to have been leaving her alone so it have kept her in the coop. She is eating and I put some ACV in their water. I just the the girls out for the first time today and boy were they happy but Lucky stayed in the coop.... Is there anything more I should or can be doing for her... She has been through quite a bit......

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Betadine, an organic iodine is good for the wound. Camph-Phenique also relieves pain and itching. Then a triple antibiotic ointment on the wound. The eye type is better since it melts at body temperature and will get deep into the wound.

The leg injury may be unrelated, especially if she wasn't limping earlier in the week. Time may allow the leg injury to heal.

"If you build it they will come."
    Predators that is.

3. Mindini36

Oct 19, 2014
    Thanks for the advice... she actually is outside the coop now but staying close to it... her comb is very light colored... I will get all above and try on the wound.. it seems to be healing and thank god the others arent pecking at her.

4. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Sorry to hear about the attack!![​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Those things are all available at drug stores. Hydrogen peroxide is ok to use on a wound the first day but thereafter use the betadine. HP will kill new cells so delays healing. Betadine won't.

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Sorry about the Bobcat attack. She could be starting to develop internal infection. I would definitely post this in our emergency section. They may suggest some antibiotics in her water to prevent further infection.

I hope she makes a full recovery.

8. Mindini36

Oct 19, 2014
    Hi.. None of my girls are laying right now. I think they are molting..... There are Feathers everywhere for all four... They haven't laid in about 2 1/2 weeks. I will post to emergency section and see what they say. I would hate her to have survived a bobcat only to die from an infection!

9. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Molting chickens will stop laying. Feathers are made of 85% protein and it is hard to meet the protein demands of growing feathers and laying eggs. So expect a few months off while molting. :)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

I'm sorry about your injured hen! [​IMG]I hope she recovers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by