Bobcat attack

Mindini36

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 19, 2014
Hi.. One of my girls was attacked and carried off by a bobcat about a week ago.. Luckily I appear to have scared the bobcat enough that he dropped her and she survived. She has a med sized wound on her neck that looks to be healing... I treated her immediately with Bactine. None of the chickens had been laying a week or so prior to the incident. I believe they are molting (feathers everywhere). About 2 days ago she started limping her leg has no wounds that I can see and doesn't appear to be broken.... Her comb is very light colored.. She is eating and drinking.. Do you have any suggestions to help her? Should I be worried?

That's one lucky chicken!! Check her over again from head to toe, just in case you missed something initially. If you can find nothing - just observe her closely. She's eating/drinking ok, a pale comb suggests to me that she may be starting to molt along with her sisters. Hopefully it's just a pulled muscle - keep us posted,
thumbsup.gif

I will recheck... I'll tell you what I never realized there was so little actual chicken under all those feathers... I had a hard time figuring out where exactly the neck was.... She is def molting. ..... She had new growth feathers on her neck at the time of the attack... Poor thing... I am so proud (if that is appropriate for a chicken) of the other hens. They are staying close and are not getting aggressive with her....
I hope it is just a pulled muscle... Maybe she fell off the roost or something. She was able to get down the ramp of the coop today and when I got home she was roosted with the others.....

Any advice on keeping the bobcat away? He was pretty darn big.... Beautiful creature. I think I scared the heck out of it when I chased it into the woods.. My husband asked what exactly I thought I would do of I caught it.. I explained whatever I had to... Lol

Best suggestion I have is electric wire, but bobcats' are pretty smart. An enclosed area for now, to keep everyone safe until he loses interest. If you have a dog, that would help - as long as it's good with chickens of course!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom