Bobcat attack

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mindini36, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Mindini36

Mindini36 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2014
    Hi.. One of my girls was attacked and carried off by a bobcat about a week ago.. Luckily I appear to have scared the bobcat enough that he dropped her and she survived. She has a med sized wound on her neck that looks to be healing... I treated her immediately with Bactine. None of the chickens had been laying a week or so prior to the incident. I believe they are molting (feathers everywhere). About 2 days ago she started limping her leg has no wounds that I can see and doesn't appear to be broken.... Her comb is very light colored.. She is eating and drinking.. Do you have any suggestions to help her? Should I be worried?

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    That's one lucky chicken!! Check her over again from head to toe, just in case you missed something initially. If you can find nothing - just observe her closely. She's eating/drinking ok, a pale comb suggests to me that she may be starting to molt along with her sisters. Hopefully it's just a pulled muscle - keep us posted,[​IMG]

3. Mindini36

Mindini36 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2014
    I will recheck... I'll tell you what I never realized there was so little actual chicken under all those feathers... I had a hard time figuring out where exactly the neck was.... She is def molting. ..... She had new growth feathers on her neck at the time of the attack... Poor thing... I am so proud (if that is appropriate for a chicken) of the other hens. They are staying close and are not getting aggressive with her....
    I hope it is just a pulled muscle... Maybe she fell off the roost or something. She was able to get down the ramp of the coop today and when I got home she was roosted with the others.....

Any advice on keeping the bobcat away? He was pretty darn big.... Beautiful creature. I think I scared the heck out of it when I chased it into the woods.. My husband asked what exactly I thought I would do of I caught it.. I explained whatever I had to... Lol

4. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Best suggestion I have is electric wire, but bobcats' are pretty smart. An enclosed area for now, to keep everyone safe until he loses interest. If you have a dog, that would help - as long as it's good with chickens of course! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by