Bobcat? Coyote? Fisher Cat?

featherlocklear

In the Brooder
Mar 8, 2016
Please help. I live in CT on about 2.25 acres of land. My flock was let out this morning at about 7:45 AM. I left my house at about 9:15 AM and came home just after noon. What I walked into was something out of a movie. Something came in and killed about 10 of my chickens. There were feathers everywhere but not just feathers. I found carcasses all over the entire property and deeper into the woods. Some were even in the middle of the lawn. They were completely spread out from my mailbox near the road, to 300 feet behind my property line in the backyard woods. The bodies had broken necks but no other signs of trauma. Two of the bodies were completely headless and eviscerated. 4 other birds are unaccounted for. Another bizarre thing about this scene was that many of the bodies in the backyard were buried. I know bobcats tend to do this. What on earth could have killed so many chickens in a short period of time, during the day, with the bodies in this these conditions? Oh and I have a chain link fenced in yard.

Dogs killed my chickens and came into the yard by worming under a gap in the chain link fence. Sounds like that could be what happened to you.

Buried bodies is usually a big cat kill, but usually not a whole bunch of birds at once. A pile of stacked bodies is a mink or one of the cousins, but they normally operate at night.

Dogs would kill a bunch and leave them lay during the day, but not pile them up.

Hmmmmm.????????

Search every bare spot for tracks . Heads completely gone sounds like a cat .Burying also sounds like a cat . When you say bury you mean holes dug and covered ? Bobcat would be my guess . Search the woods and look for claw marks on the trees . They share all the same traits as a house cat .Spaying territory boundaries . Claw sharping on trees . these are things to look for. If possible set up trail cameras . Bobcats will forage twenty seven . They are excellent climbers and can jump very high. A four foot fence is no problem for them . Cats and coons will kill the animal eat the head and leave the body and like dogs will kill for the fun of killing . You will have to secure your chickens it will be back .

Back
Top Bottom