Bobcat injury to foot

Hona

Hatching
Dec 7, 2021
My favorite egg laying hen had her claws/foot mauled by a bobcat two days ago. It appears all four toes are damaged and cut short but they are present and the foot pad is swollen. I put her in a small crate with straw food and water and soaked in warm water and put iodine on her wound. She is eating some but difficult to move and she has started pecking at her foot now that it’s healing. This morning there was also some greenish tinge in a few areas.
I read chickens are not prone to bacterial infection due to their warm body temperature but I’m wondering if I should acquire oral antibiotics for her.
She is a coocoo Marian and is about three years old.

The green may be bruising, but pictures of the wounded foot would be good. For an animal large cat bite, and loss of part of toes, I would try to get some antibiotics. Better ones for bones are clindamycin or cephalexin, but clavamox, or amoxicillin might work. Do you have a regular vet who might help with that? You can get Aqua Mox amoxicillin online from Chewies or Allivet.

I would use chlorhexidene twice a day to rinse the wound. Then apply plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment when dry. A bandage with 2x2 gauze and vet wrap/cohesive bandage can b used, as in a bumblefoot bandage.

4C13A503-E4A4-4F93-BC42-F67D663AAF29.jpeg

Thanks I bought silver honey and put 0.5 mL of oxytetracycline in her water. I think she may just recover with not a huge handicap.

Back
Top Bottom